I have a pretty heavy site with about 50 different modules.

Hello,
I have a pretty heavy site with about 50 different modules. some heavy like buddypress, BBpress and EDD with Front end submitting option.
I need to propose a course section. i installed Coursepress pro. I have 30 Mo of total files; seems like a pretty heavy module.
Questions are : does Coursepress do integrate with buddypress. ie same common profiles, ability to have courses in a buddypress group ?, or course tab in buddyppress profile ?
If not, will it be more conveniant to create another install of WordPress, in another subdomain or directory of the url. For exemple with no buddypress/EDD/BBpress in it, just for coursepress and associated plugins to make the same look and feel ?

That is to say 2 different WordPress install ? Will that make the website more responsive and secure ?
Is there tricks to share or not a database between the two sites; will that be beneficial ?

Any advices from your end ?

best regards,
hervé

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Herve, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

Questions are : does Coursepress do integrate with buddypress. ie same common profiles, ability to have courses in a buddypress group ?, or course tab in buddyppress profile ?

It's something that we're considering, you'd be more than welcome to post your vote for this over here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/coursepress-pro-and-buddypress-why-there-are-two-different-profile-areas

f not, will it be more conveniant to create another install of WordPress, in another subdomain or directory of the url. For exemple with no buddypress/EDD/BBpress in it, just for coursepress and associated plugins to make the same look and feel ?

If you have no problem with managing 2 separate WordPress installs, then that would work. :slight_smile:

Will that make the website more responsive and secure ?

Security shouldn't be a problem either way, but as to whether CoursePress Pro would slow down the site you have presently, my advice would be to give it a quick test drive, and see how your site performs then. :slight_smile:

Is there tricks to share or not a database between the two sites; will that be beneficial ?

Sharing the database in which way? Could you elaborate on that please?

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Herve

Hello Michael, :wink:
    thanks for the quick response
    I am thinking...
    I have 2 kind of content types. One is Buddypress linked... buddydrive, ideastream, rendez vous, WP projects..
    and some non buddypress integrated others like coursepro, WPMU fundraising, DW Q&A, global events... BBpress maybe...

Maybe I should split in 2 or 3 different install with the same look and feel but the question will be : How can I make my users register on one site and then get recognized by the others without having to ge reconnected ?
    that is why i thought sharing a database.
    Will multisite help or not at all ?
    Best rgs,
    Hervé

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Herve,

I hope you're having a great day and I'm sorry for the delay!

It looks like Multisite should work just fine for you. It is exactly what you're talking about: a network of separate sites that share a user database - with users having assigned individual capabilities per site. There are also some custom hacks that would let your users register on one single site and then be automatically registered to another single WP site but it's not the official way of doing things nor the recommended one.

So yes, definitely WP Multisite is a solution here :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Adam

• Herve

Thank you Adam,
    This is great ! :slight_smile:
    Is it possible for the main site to grab some content from subsites and make a mash up of content ?
    For exemple; take all the articles with a certain tags from all subsites and make it a sort of mega blog with all articles included.
    I also need to have the possibility to have a search box within subsite that can span the subsite but only but also all the subsites...
    Will users from one subsite could send mail, follow and make friend to another user registered in another subsite ?
    Well, in fact I need to understand what can and what cannot be shared out of the box..
    Best regards,
    Hervé

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Herve!

I think we should consider MultiSite here as a tool for user and site management in this case. Generally speaking, WP MultiSite is a network of sites that are not connected to each other in any way except sharing the users database. Actually, it's a bit too simple explanation: when user registers on one of the sites he has to be given a proper role (capabilities) in order to make use (apart from reading and commenting) of other sites. Of course you may, as a superadmin, "assign" users to the sites of your choice, so it's really not an issue here :slight_smile:

Everything else can be more or less easily accomplished with a bunch of plugins.

Is it possible for the main site to grab some content from subsites and make a mash up of content ?
    For exemple; take all the articles with a certain tags from all subsites and make it a sort of mega blog with all articles included.

Autoblog https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/autoblog/

Manage and distribute more content faster by automatically posting content to WordPress or Multisite using RSS feeds.

The simplest solution will be to install this one on your main (or "hub" as you call it) site, add RSS feeds, fire up and forget :slight_smile: It will automatically fetch content from defined blogs (from your network as well as external, if you wish) and publish it there.

2. I also need to have the possibility to have a search box within subsite that can span the subsite but only but also all the subsites...

One of these plugins will fit here perfectly:

Custom google Search https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custom-google-search/

It will replace the default search with Google's search engine (embedded of course). The only possible drawback is that Google serves its own ads inside the search results page and all the searched sites should be well indexed.

Global Site Search https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/global-site-search/

It's a tool designed specifically for searching WP MultiSite network of sites, so I thing this is exactly the feature you're looking for.

3. Will users from one subsite could send mail, follow and make friend to another user registered in another subsite ?

I think BuddyPress will be the best shot here, especially since you're using it already.

I hope that helped.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be glad to help!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Herve

This is helping a lot. Thank you.
    At the moment, I believe I might need to redo my project site; I did a buddypress site with all the plugins I needed. It is working fine except one conflict between two plugins. Which I intent to solve soon.

But when I install this project site on a multisite , I found several plugins already "offered" in the subsites without being network activated. I have also strange behavior...I have to look into.

Maybe I should start again plugin after plugin to find out what does work and not... That is option 1. But this might prevent me to use all functionalities...

Or maybe this will turn to be too complicated as some plugins are not fully multisite compatible. So maybe another option would be to get several monosites but find a mechanism to share users, posts and search across them. IS this possible ? I have been told a couple of modules sharing some stuff across different wbuddypress install but not sure. Option 2.

Another way, option 3, could also be to have one buddypress install at the main site only and use light wordpress blog/page sites on subsites... that maybe the best but the clue is : how can I switch off modules on subsites that are automatically networked authorized ? Or if not possible to switch off; How can I prevent admin for the subsite to play around with these networked modules he is not supposed to play with.. ?

Sounds like option 3 is quite nice for me. As users from a company xyz, could still use buddypress groups to work in a closed environment...

What do, you think?

Best regards,
    Hervé

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey again Herve!

1. From my own experience I can tell you that setting up a few single sites and sharing users between database is not a good option. It is possible, some hacks can be found around the web (although most of them referring to older WP versions) but it will simply not work as intended. I mean it's relatively easy to write some php code that will "synchronize" users between two or more WP install if those installs are "clean". With more complicated setups (like a lot of plugins, customizations) it will almost certainly crash at some point. Been there, done that :slight_smile:

2. Sharing search across multiple sites is quite easy with aforementioned "Google Custom Search" plugin. Of course all sites must be well indexed by Google but it doesn't really matter if they are all in the same Multisite network or if they are totally unrelated.

3. I think this plugin may be of help for you: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wpmu-plugin-manager/

You may also want to take a look at our article here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/25-essential-plugins-for-wordpress-multisite-networks/

I hope that helped.

Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.