I have a wp multisite where I am using the Transients API

Hi I have a wp multisite where I am using the Transients API to cache social media share counts. I'm using the Answer posted here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25659995/caching-custom-social-share-count-in-wordpress

Everything is working, however it is not giving me accurate share counts for all of the posts. Some have the correct share count others just show what appears to be a random number. For example a post that has 65 facebook likes only shows 1 when the Transient code is added. When I remove the Transient it shows the accurate number of shares for all of them. Any ideas of what could cause this?

I realize this is not really directly related to WPMU (unless it could be conflict with a plugin), so feel free to ignore this question. However, anything that could point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! I have spent hours trying to figure this out, so figured I'd ask the experts. I've attached a screen shot comparing the post share counts with and without the Transient API so you can see the differences.

Thanks