I have added 2

I have added 2 additional domains to my multisite network using Domain Mapping. When I try to access these additional domains I get an error 403 Forbidden message. Also, I get a 404 error when I try to access the site's admin area. How can I correct this and make the site functional?

Additionally, when I access my sites list from the superadmin dashboard I can see the added on domains listed. but when I go to Domain Mapping, the Mapped Domains tab there is nothing listed.

Let me know if you you need additional information.
Thanks so much for your help.

• Jude

Hi Lnunnally,

Hope all is well with you and you are keeping fine !

Have you pointed your DNS records to the server which hosts your multisite? If yes, has it been atleast 72 hours? Also, have you added the two domains to your cPanel and pointed it to the root of the folder where your multisite is installed?

http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/edu/cpanel/cpanel-manage-domains/adding-addon-domains-in-cpanel

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a fantastic day !

Cheers
    Jude

• Lnunnally

Thanks so much. Your guidance has cured this issue.
    I might have caused a problem by getting the plugins mixed up. Will you take a look at this next issue and let me know what to do?

My main site is UnitedUnderGod.org I am using this for my MultiSite.
    I want to use nonprofitadviser.org so I searched where to add it in my from my Network Admin area. The only place I found was the Multi-Domain plugin so I added it there. After that, I could not find where to access nonprofitadviser.org so I added the "www" subdomain to the "nonprofitadviser.org" options on the "Sites" screen. Now I see "www.nonprofitadviser.org" under "My Sites" on the SuperAdmin Dashboard but when I type "nonprofitadviser.org" in a web browser I am prompted to create a new account and it is not really usable. However, when I type "www.nonprofitadviser.org" everything works just fine.

My question is how do I use and make publicly visible the non "www" domain?

Also, After a little research I found that I could Map Domains to http://www.nonprofitadviser.org under the Tools tab in the admin area of this sub-site. But for some reason there is not a "Domain Mapping" selection in the UnitedUnderGod.org admin area.
    So If the cure is to Map "nonprofitadviser.org" to "UnitedUnderGod.org" instead of adding it to the Multi-Domain settings. How do I do this?

Is this clear enough? Thanks So Much For Your Help.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Lnunally!

If I understand that correctly you we are talking here about the main site of your network is that correct?

What you wish to achieve would be indeed mapping a domain to the site but Domain Mapping doesn't let you map the domain to the main site of the network and the main site can only work with a single domain at once.

The Multi-Domains plugin purpose is also different. It lets you add more than one domain but it doesn't make the main site available under all these domains. What it does it that it lets you create sub-sites under one of that available domains of choice. To explain by example:

- your main site is "domain.com"
    - it's a sub-domain setup

1. Without "Multi-Domains" plugin:

- main site is available under the "domain.com" address
    - sub-sites are available via "subdomain.domain.com" addresses

2. With "Multi-Domains" plugin

- the main domain is "domain.com"
    - there are two additional domains: "otherdomain.com", "testdomain.com"
    - the main site is still available under the "domain.com" only
    - sub-sites can be created under "domain.com", "otherdomain.com" or "testdomain.com"

furthermore

- if you create "me.domain.com" site you can still create "me.otherdomain.com" site and these will be two separate sub-sites of your Multisite

I hope that explains a bit better how both these plugins work.

That being said, if you wish your main site to be available under two different domains at once, the way to go is a .htaccess redirect or you can set alias in your cPanel.

If I'm missing anything here, let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Lnunnally

I am sorry for the poor explanation of my issue. Please allow me to try again.

Part 1: I want to setup a multisite network that allows people to create sub-domains of domain1.com, domain2.com, and domain3.com. So when they choose their url they have the option of me.domain1.com, me.domain2.com, or me.domain3.com. I dont want the user to have identical sites at each url, I just want them to have the choice of which url they want. I would use Multi-Domains to do this correct?

Part 2: I want to create my own unique sites at domain1.com, domain2.com and domain3.com to inform visitors the purpose of each domain. However, at this time I am not able to access/edit the root domains of domain2.com or domain3.com, I can only access/edit sub-domains. In other words:
    -My main site is domain1.com.
    --I can edit "domain1.com" and create functional "sub-domain.domain1.com" urls.
    -My problem is I cannot edit "domain2.com" or "domain3.com"
    --I can create and edit functional "sub-domain.domain2.com" and "sub-domain.domain3.com" url but I cannot access "domain2.com" or "domain3.com"

Would the cure to Part 2 be Mapping Domains? How can I use "domain2.com" and "domain3.com"?

Does this clear things up?
    Thanks so Much for your help.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Lnunnally!

Thank you for this explanation, that's much more clear now :slight_smile:

Part 1: I want to setup a multisite network that allows people to create sub-domains of domain1.com, domain2.com, and domain3.com. So when they choose their url they have the option of me.domain1.com, me.domain2.com, or me.domain3.com. I dont want the user to have identical sites at each url, I just want them to have the choice of which url they want. I would use Multi-Domains to do this correct?

That is correct. The Multi-Domains plugin was made just for that purpose so after you add your domains there, you users will be able to create their sub-sites and select under which of the available domains their sub-domain should exist. That's a standard Multi-Domains setup so this should work "out of the box".

Part 2: I want to create my own unique sites at domain1.com, domain2.com and domain3.com to inform visitors the purpose of each domain. However, at this time I am not able to access/edit the root domains of domain2.com or domain3.com, I can only access/edit sub-domains. In other words:
    -My main site is domain1.com.
    --I can edit "domain1.com" and create functional "sub-domain.domain1.com" urls.
    -My problem is I cannot edit "domain2.com" or "domain3.com"
    --I can create and edit functional "sub-domain.domain2.com" and "sub-domain.domain3.com" url but I cannot access "domain2.com" or "domain3.com"

Would the cure to Part 2 be Mapping Domains? How can I use "domain2.com" and "domain3.com"?

This is the "hard part". Without "Multi-Domains" you could use Domain Mapping like that:

- use domain1.com as the main domain of your Multisite
    - create two subsites and map domain2.com and domain3.com to these subsites.

Users would be only able to create their sub-sites under the "domain1.com" only. With Multi-Domains they would be able to create sub-sites under the domain of their choice (of these three) but mapping described above is not possible. It's either one option or another then.

There's no simple workaround for this. In theory, you could setup two sub-sites and then change their Site URL's to be domain2.com and domain3.com and that would work but again - with no Multi-Domains. With Multi-Domains it will cause "too many redirects" issue.

In my opinion what you wish to achieve would require either fully custom solution (that would involve some really serious custom coding) or just setting up three separate MultiSites where one would be under domain1.com, second one under domain2.com and the third one under domain3.com. Then this could be "tied up" with some reciprocal links/redirects to let users select domain for their new site before they go to "real" signup page.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Lnunnally

Thanks so much for your detailed reply!

There's no simple workaround for this. In theory, you could setup two sub-sites and then change their Site URL's to be domain2.com and domain3.com and that would work but again - with no Multi-Domains. With Multi-Domains it will cause "too many redirects" issue.

Could I do this in reverse?
    I have created "www.domain2.com" and "www.domain3.com" which work just fine. I can use these urls for the main site of each domain.

Would it cause the "too many redirects" issue if I redirect "domain2.com" to "www.domain2.com"?
    And how would I do this? Would this cause any other issues when using Multi-Domains and Mapping Domains plugins?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks again.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Lnunnally!

The "www" prefix from the DNS "point of view" is just a CNAME (kind of an alias) of the domain name so it doesn't really make the difference. I never tried such setup but none of the plugins we are discussing here (and I'm not aware of any other) were designed to handle such scenario and it's also not something that is "native" to WordPress.

I must admit that I'm not sure what will happen exactly if you try to redirect (and I'm referring to some redirect via .htaccess or DNS or similar because Domain Mapping will not handle that case well) these domains the way you say. That's very unusual and I don't think I came across such setup before. I would however expect issues here and I'm nearly sure that even if that works "somehow" it wouldn't work well in a long run. That's, so to say, unnatural to WordPress :slight_smile:

In my opinion, the "separate Multisites" would be the most reliable solution here. Linking them - and even setting up a special "pre" registration form page with domain choice - would be much easier and would spare you all the potential troubles with such a complex redirect/mapping/multi-domains configuration. There are also tools - starting from our Hub but also popular ManageWP and InfiniteWP - that let you manage more than single installation from one place easily.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.