how to verify php memory ?

hi,

i have added the line in my wp-config.php file that should allow 512 mb memory (screenshot).
i have previously confirmed with wpengine via live chat that i can apply up to 512 mb.

but in admin under WPMU DEV - Support - System Info
it shows 256 mb memory limit

so is this an accurate reflection ?
i understand there are several places/methods one can add/change php memory limit,
but i remember specifically asking wpengine about this as well and they advised the best place would in fact be the wp-config.php file.

one odd thing it seems that wpengine seems to use their own wp-config.php file
and one does not see the usually “That’s all, stop editing!"
but some sort of pencils down thing ma dingy line instead :slight_smile:

any kind clarification or advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks once again to this amazing support forum.

Happy Easter Holidays !!!
BLESS !!!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Amused,

Thanks for the question.

My first thought would of been that your host restricts it, but as you have mentioned - according to your host this should be working as expected.

I would try using phpinfo(); and checking the memory that way. I have attached a php file with just that function in it. Unzip and upload the file to your root directory then visit: yoursite.com/phpinfo.php if it still says 256mb there then I would contact WPengine again and ask them why it won't work like they said it would!?!? haha

You could always try the .htaccess and/or php.ini methods first too just in-case.

php.ini:

memory_limit: 512M

.htaccess:

php_value memory_limit 512M

Hope that helps! Happy Easter, enjoy your weekend :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• amused

hi @Tyler Postle

i believe i can't mark this as "resolved" probably because i originally selected "General" as the Topic.
    anyway,
    the reason i was not seeing the accurate memory limit under WPMU DEV - Support - System Info,
    was that apparently i cannot simply use,
    define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', 'xxM' );

but rather i have to use,
    define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', 'xxM' ); ?
    define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', 'xxM' );

when i use both lines it apparently reflects accurately under WPMU DEV - Support - System Info,
    as well as another plugin "dev4press-updater".

apparently they (wpengine) says this is how it has to be done.

also with your recommendation they said i need not paste or use a php file but simply use,
    http://phpinfo.wpengine.com/info.php

however both that as well as the file you gave kept showing 512 mb as memory limit regardless of what i put.
    the live chat could not explain that maybe, it shows the max allowable i assume,
    which conflicts with the fact the guy told me i can use up to 2GB
    hmmm,
    guess i will have to clarify all this via a ticket but regardless,
    i use the two lines with 512mb and it shows under WPMU DEV - Support - System Info.

Thanks again.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.