I have been having a lot of problems with posts

I am testing some sites locally on my computer and I keep having issues with my posts showing up correctly.

When I go to my blog page I can get it to display the list of blog posts fine. The problem is when I click on the individual post. When I click on the gear icon to edit the way it looks there aren’t any options and it seems like a default setup. I want to be able to change the post parts but it isn’t an option. If I use the draggable post element and select single post no matter what post I click in my blog list the latest post is always what shows up. For example if I have 2 posts one labeled post 1 and the other post 2 with post 2 being the most recent post, when I click on post 1 the page will say post 1 in the web address but the post will be post 2. If I add post 3 then post 3 will show up when I click post 1 or 2.

How do I make it so I can change the post parts for the individual post parts? How do I keep it from only showing the most recent post?

Selecting generic for how to display posts doesn’t show anything. Posts do not show up at all. Custom posts makes me select specific posts to display so I would have to do that every time I write a post which isn’t very efficient. Posts by taxonomy shows the most recent post which is what my problem is in the first place.

I have even used custom press to make a new post type called articles and I still get the same problems. There has to be something I am missing.