I have been trying to get membership to work with Q&A for

I have been trying to get membership to work with Q&A for about two weeks now:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/permissions-with-membership-plugin

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/i-am-opening-another-thread-since-my-last-one-about-this

I get an immediate response from support when I open a new thread, but then people seem to lose interest in helping. So I am opening a new thread to get a more timely response. I have been waiting two days so far on the last thread.

I would really like to solve this ASAP please. Below is the latest state of affairs. Please see the above two threads for a history of what is going on.
____

I installed the latest release [of membership] and got around to testing it out today.

I have attached a summary of the issues I still have.

- Redirect on sign up for the free user goes to the subscriptions page. This might be by design to upsell, I don't know. I would prefer it went to the /welcome page.

- Access rules, both positive and negative, seem not to work at all. I think I can manage this with URL groups, but then why have pages there?

- There are still no upgrade or cancel buttons on /subscriptions or on the page where I use the shortcode (see attached).

- Users are assigned to the 'admin' gateway, but I read that is bad news elsewhere.

I have a question about the way to configure a free membership. I read that if you set it to 'indefinite', there is no way to upgrade, as the person will be on that level forever. I have tried it as 'serial' for one month, set to auto renew at $0. Is that the way to go?

• aristath

I get an immediate response from support when I open a new thread, but then people seem to lose interest in helping.

People don't "lose interest", we simply have hundreds of other posts to reply to as well, and though we always try to respond in a timely fashion, it is not always possible to respond within a matter of minutes or hours. We have to first understand your issue, figure out what is causing it, replicate it and then resolve it. When the issue is complicated, that can take more than you would expect.

So I am opening a new thread to get a more timely response.

That actually does not help... the information on your issue is fragmented and we don't get all the facts and data that we need in order to resolve the issue. I can understand you opening a 2nd issue because I was sick for a week, but in the long run it becomes conusing. For example on https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/permissions-with-membership-plugin#post-533692 you said you had resolved some of your issues and closed that issue because @Vaughan was dealing with the remaining issues you were having on the other thread.
    As a result, the staff member responsible for your 1st thread (in this case me) rests assured that your issue has been resolved and the remaining issue is being take care of by another staff member.

As for the issues you are mentioning, perhaps it would be best if I simply take a look at your backend and figure out what is going on...

Can you send me your admin credentials please?
    - Send an email using our secure contact form on https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/
    - Select "I have a different question" from the dropdown
    - On the subject enter "Attn: aristath".
    - Include the URL of this post in your message so that I may track this issue
    - Include a link to your website
    - Include your superadmin credentials (username + password)

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Matthew

Thanks for getting back to me.

I know that opening threads is gaming the system and obnoxious, but when I know that you will reply within an hour to a new thread, and that older threads do get left for days, I am encouraged to open a new ticket.

I don't know how your system works, but it seems odd that if you guys are busy or ill that open threads can be neglected for days without response. To be frank, from a customer's point of view, your workload or health is irrelevant. Initial response time here is killer, and so it creates an expectation of attention. But that is totally erroded when, as a customer, you feel completely neglected.

It's the only negative to what has so far been a really good experience with WPMU, so I hope you can find a way to reduce the chances of it happening.

I hope you can sort this out for me, as I am busy and have deadlines too. I will send what you have asked for in an email now.

Matt

• aristath

Redirect on sign up for the free user goes to the subscriptions page. This might be by design to upsell, I don't know. I would prefer it went to the /welcome page.

I'm afraid this is by design and not easy to bypass. However, you can simply edit that page and add the content you wish. For example I entered the content of your welcome page in there and right after that, added the subscription form. You can edit it to your liking by editing the "Register" page.

Access rules, both positive and negative, seem not to work at all. I think I can manage this with URL groups, but then why have pages there?

Which rules don't work? How exactly are you testing this? Please advise, I'll need some more info on this one.

There are still no upgrade or cancel buttons on /subscriptions or on the page where I use the shortcode

In the Membership General Options, you've set the "User Registration" field to "Free Member".
    As the help text on that field says, If you are using a paid subscription model - it is probably best to set this to "none".
    Can you please try setting that to "None" and try that?

Users are assigned to the 'admin' gateway, but I read that is bad news elsewhere.

Users are assigned the "admin" gateway when the admin manually adds subscriptions and levels to them. If they go through the normal subscription process, they are assigned the proper payment gateway.

I have tried it as 'serial' for one month, set to auto renew at $0. Is that the way to go?

Yes, that sounds right.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Matthew

Hi Ari,

Thanks for your reply.

As far as the register issue goes, thanks for that. If it is by design, I will do as you suggest.

Also thanks for confirming the settings for free members at $0.

Re: Admin gateway. This is when a user follows the normal registration proceess and uses a coupon. It is not when admin creates an account. I want to give a 100% discount to comp. membership. I read in another thread that doing this should mean that the gateway is correctly assigned, but it is not.

Sorry, I did not give you enough details about permissions. If I want to control access to certain pages using the pages drag-and-drop in access levels, it seems to have no effect at all. I have tried using both positive rules and negative rules with pages but neither seemed to work. Instead, I have used URL groups to control access to pages. I get the result I want, but I thought I should report what I think may be a bug as I read there have been problems with postive rules before.

I already tried having user registration set to "none" as it clearly recommends, but that wasn't working, so what you saw was me trying something else to get it to work. I checked again with it set to "none", but it's still not working. I still see none of the buttons. I have a number of threads on this -- it seems a common problem. For example https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/no-payment-subscribe-button-for-upgrades Trying these solutions doesn't help. I had it working without a free membership but would prefer to have read-only free access.

• Matthew

Good news after some tinkering.

I think I have figured out the reason why I could not get sub/unsub buttons to show. Using a 100% voucher for free membership is causing gateway problems.

See this thread:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/100-coupon-assigns-to-admin-gateway

That means that the "admin" issue above and the buttons problem are probably one and the same.

As far as I am concerned I think I can close this thread then. You guys may want to investigate the pages/permissions thing if others have trouble with it, I suppose.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.