I have Events + plugin installed. You can see the calendar

Hello, I have Events + plugin installed. You can see the calendar widget in the right side bar here:

http://durhamregionactionnetwork.com/

I have run into a few issues.

1) The navigation arrows on the bottom of the calendar are wonky, not sequential and sometimes load a page event not found instead of the next month's calendar. Also, is there a way to put the month/year and directional arrows above the calendar instead of the bottom?

2) I was getting fed up with the calendar widget and wanted the list of upcoming events instead. That widget didn't work at all...it didn't show the event I had created.

3) Since I installed this plugin it won't let me create pages under the parent Events menu category. I was able to create child pages under Events before I installed the plugin. Now if I create a page (I tried several) I get a 404 error page.

4) On this page Events: http://durhamregionactionnetwork.com/events/
I have the shortcode to list all events but I wanted to have some text before the form with a link for users to create an event but it won't show up.

5) How do you add the ability on the front end for users to search events?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

• Vaughan

hiya

thanks for the post.

#1 I'm not sure i understand when you say wonky? could you take a screenshot.

they look ok to me, they look aligned to me (screenshot 1)

though i have noticed, on firefox your page is full-width, but in chrome it's a fixed width. should that be happening?

the month at the top, you would need to edit the plugin and change the table elements round, i'm not sure which file, possibly events-and-bookings/lib/class_eab_calendar_helper.php

#2 when you say didn't work? do you mean it didn't display any events at all? how many weeks did you select in the lookahead option for the widget?

#3 not sure what you mean here about child events, can you elaborate a bit more, a screenshot might help, so i can try and replicate.

#4 you would need to edit the archive-events.php template

events-and-bookings/default-templates/default/archive-incsub_event.php

it would be best to copy this into your theme folder and make the edits you want. that way they won't be overwrote next time plugin is updated.

5# there are many search plugins for wordpress, search is 1 of wp lacking points, it's not good enough unfortunately. you might find the following useful.

http://www.studionashvegas.com/development/search-specific-post-type-wordpress/

http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/89886/how-to-create-a-custom-search-for-custom-post-type

http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-create-advanced-search-form-in-wordpress-for-custom-post-types/

anfd a great plugin here http://wordpress.org/plugins/relevanssi/

hope this helps.

thanks

• DRAN

Thanks very much for your help! As far as #1 and #3, a screenshot won't help. When you click those directional arrows at the bottom of the calendar to click to the next/previous month it takes you to random years/months that make no sense which leads to a page that states event not found. Shouldn't the calendar arrows load the previous and next month? or previous and next years for the double arrows? For example the single right arrow takes you to all events of 2012 instead of August 2013, the double right arrow beside that takes you to June 2013...the single left arrow takes you to all events 2014 and the double left arrow to Aug 2013. This seems backwards and doesn't make sense for the years either. It would make sense to have July 2014 load for the next year arrow. But if there are no events it loads a page of no events instead of showing a calendar. I hope I am explaining this clearly.

#3 I can't create a page if the parent is Events so there is nothing to screen capture except a 404 error page.

I will try the rest you assisted for the other points. I know I had several issues come up and I greatly appreciate your time to help me. Thank you!

• Vaughan

hiya

sorry for the delay.

#3 i understand now. you want to create a page that has /events as it's parent.

unfortunately that's not possible, i see in the plugin code, the post-type is set with hierarchical set to false.

i'm not sure enabling it would be a good idea.

in events-and-bookings.php

$event_type_args = array(
    			'labels' => $labels,
    			'public' => true,
    			'show_ui' => true,
    			'publicly_queryable' => true,
    			'capability_type' => 'event',
    			'hierarchical' => false,
    			'map_meta_cap' => true,
    			'query_var' => true,
    			'supports' => $supports,
    			'rewrite' => array( 'slug' => $this->_data->get_option('slug'), 'with_front' => false ),
    			'has_archive' => true,
    			'menu_icon' => plugins_url('events-and-bookings/img/small-greyscale.png'),
    		);

could you try the widget again using default 2012 theme?

thanks.

• DRAN

Thanks so much for your help! I tried again today and suddenly it let me put the Submit An Event page under the Events menu. Not sure why it didn't work before, but somehow it's resolved itself. Thank you for looking into this though :slight_smile:

I changed the calendar widget to just the Events listing but I would have liked to use the calendar in my sidebar. I found the code to remove the arrows and title from the bottom but couldn't figure out how to get it above the calendar...I kept screwing up the script. This is more of an aesthetics issue and not as important. What I really wish is that the arrows were not reversed (back arrows going to future month, and forward arrows going to past month) and that when navigating it loaded a calendar and not just sometimes a calendar and sometimes a page stating, "no events found." If this is ever resolved that would be great...thank you!

• DRAN

Great, thank you for getting back to me and for looking into this! In addition to the arrows being reversed, please note that the arrow links don't always load a calendar. I have the widget removed from my site now but I believe it was for the "years" double arrow. e.g. if your current calendar displaying is July 2013, when you click the double arrow, it should load July 2014 calendar. Instead of displaying the calendar it loads a page stating events not found, no year or month displayed either. Thanks again!