I have issue with Multi-Domains

Can s'body help plz, I added another domain for my multisite (blogspace.pro) for user to choose from, the primary domain is working fine no issue and also if the user choose the second domain it also allow user to register and create site successfully but the issue is it did not allow user to login to admin and it did not display any error message on the login page when user try to login it only refresh the page on and on

• 3SixtyEvolve

Hi Said

Welcome to the WPMU DEV Community and thank you for being a member!

It's quite difficult to give a definite solution without first seeing the error log in and before knowing a bit more about your setup. So I would greatly appreciate if you can let me know what version of WordPress you're running, what other plugins you've got installed and if you can also provide me with a link so I can see what happens myself.

I'm sure we can sort this out easily once I have more information from your side.

Look forward to your feedback.

Gina

• saidmaadan

@GinaB I dont know which of the link u're talking about but the URL is http://blogspace.pro and moreover i want to ask this question, is it possible for the two domains to share the same IP or any number of domains on Multi-domains to share One dedicated IP. Though the primary domain (blogspace.pro) is on dedicated IP but the second domain that i have issue with is on share IP (But it DNS record i make the wildcard subdomain to point to primary domain dedicated IP address), so i was thinking maybe i should configure this second domain to use the same IP with primary domain....
    @aecnu thank as always the sunrise.php is at wp-content/ folder without the primary domain wont have work at all
    @dreamwc! thx i have latest wp installed

• aecnu

Greetings saidmaadan,

Though the primary domain (blogspace.pro) is on dedicated IP but the second domain that i have issue with is on share IP (But it DNS record i make the wildcard subdomain to point to primary domain dedicated IP address), so i was thinking maybe i should configure this second domain to use the same IP with primary domain

The second domain must be pointing at the same IP as the primary domain with an "A" record.

The cardinal rule here being broken and the reason this is not working is because WordPress itself (not a DNS redirect) must resolve the domain and sub domains or it will not work.

Please point second domain at primary domain IP being sure to also have the wildcard dns entry and you should be all set. If not please send me the secondary domain name.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• saidmaadan

@Timothy!
    thx for ur help, but i think you miss the point if you read my first post above i didnt have problem with the setting up infact the secondary domain is already on the sign up page as an option to choose and again user is able to register and create site with it but the problem is it create site and the site is working but is not allow login to the admin but the primary domain is not have this issue everything is working with primary domain.. the primary domain is http://blogspace.pro and the secondary domain is http://79wp.com

• aecnu

Greetings saidmaadan,

It is my opinion that nothing is wrong here now and that the concept of what you are doing is not correct.

Though the second domain has been assigned as a Multi Domain, you have not created any sites using the second domain so of course there are no sites to access.

By simply adding the second domain to the Multi Domain array will not give it access to the admin - actually just by virtue of adding it to the Multi Domain array does not create anything nor does it give access to the main sites admin area. Furthermore there can only be one network admin area per MultiSite install.

Your current concept is that you should be able to log into the admin area using the root of the second domain added to the Multi Domain array. This is incorrect. Adding the second domain is entirely for the purpose of allowing a choice when creating sub domains. It does not create another admin area nor another main network site.

Please create a site going through the procedure of setting up a sub site using your second domain and I think you will find that it works great and as expected.

Since from the outside everything is working great on your site and there was a small misinterpretation of how this is supposed to work - I am marking this ticket as resolved.

However, if you create a sub site using the second domain and it does not work for whatever reason, please feel free to check mark this ticket below as not resolved and post any errors or further symptoms concerning the issue.

Cheers, Joe

• dreamwc

Quick Note: No, I was saying when I experienced that redirect loop in the latest WPMU, the only way I solved "that" particular issue was by instead installing the version before current, and then updating it after install. When I did it that way it worked fine, with no trouble or issues.

It would be my opinion, based on these findings, that there is some sort of flaw within the newest WPMU release, that most likely never shows it's head when the script is installed as a normal WP installation. However, when you use it as a WPMU install the flaw can show up causing this redirect loop.

• dreamwc

Also, I really hate when a tech moves one of these threads along before its time. Example, thread has been here for a bit, others have found it (because they are having either the same or a very similar issue). Now they try to comment to get help with their issue (same or similar) tech jumps in and requests they start a new topic/thread for it.

How does this make sense? If you ALREADY have a good amount of data available why would you want to start a completely new thread on this same or like topic? Not a very efficient method IMHO.

Kind Regards,
    RJ

• dreamwc

Hello Joe,
    I certainly wasn't speaking of anything you said or did. I have run into that particular situation happening in like 6 other threads here so far. I just feel that practice is counterproductive and I saw this thread quickly headed there. I am not griping (I love this resource), just stating my opinion as a paying member, developer, and someone who has worked Tier III technical support for a few years at management level. No offense is meant at all, so please do not take offense, nor is it personal in any way, and I don't know everything, not always right, etc. =)

Kind Regards,
    RJ

• aecnu

Greetings RJ,

No offense taken at all sir.

I was just making sure that someone here on this ticket, possibly one of my colleagues had suggested this and I missed it.

Usually I have seen this happen when a ticket is hijacked and also as you mentioned it does stink when all the relevant information is contained in a ticket and one is asked to open a new ticket - you are right on the money.

Have a great day and thank you for your valuable feedback and for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

• saidmaadan

@aecnu
    this has not been resolved and 'm mark it as not resolve anyway, and again Mr aecnu it seem you dont understand what this issue is all about because according to one of your post up there you mentioned some point that has nothing to do with what 'm talking about First you said i have not created any site using the second domain and the answer is no - i have created up to 5 sites through the second domain (http://79wp.com) to test run it and you can confirm it on my home page (http://blogspace.pro) and one of them is this http://merdy.79wp.com/ the site is working but you cannot login to the admin area of the site or probably it does not admin area for the site,
    Secondly you said and i quote: "By simply adding the second domain to the Multi Domain array will not give it access to the admin - actually just by virtue of adding it to the Multi Domain array does not create anything nor does it give access to the main sites admin area. Furthermore there can only be one network admin area per MultiSite install. Your current concept is that you should be able to log into the admin area using the root of the second domain added to the Multi Domain array. This is incorrect". I never said i wanted to login to network admin thru' the second domain or create another network admin thru' it, NO, but i was talking about the admin area of the site that was created through the second domain. for example, i use second domain to create this site http://merdy.79wp.com/ and the site is working but it doesnt create admin for it , even when i go thru' network admin - sites - all site and click on its dashboard it suppose to open admin area of the site like others i created with primary domain but instead it open login page with this address on the browser http://merdy.79wp.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fmerdy.79wp.com%2Fwp-admin%2F&reauth=1 and when enter the login details it refresh the login page again and again....that is the case!

@dreamwc! I think you understand the whole issue and it very similar to the experience you had in the past because you make mention of redirect loop and that is what display on the browser when try to login to admin but i didnt get or understand how you said you resolve it...You can kindly resend me the details! thx

• aecnu

Greetings saidmaadan,

This issue I am unable to reproduce in my new production environment and in your last post you have mentioned a sub domain that had prior to that post never been mentioned before - therefore it could not be addressed.

I have been working from the sole perspective of the domain http://79wp.com which I found to be working as I thought it should. If I had understood that you were having trouble with a sub domain I would have asked you for the name of one of the sub domains - but this did not become clear until your last post https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/i-have-issue-with-multi-domains#post-196046 the first time a sub domain is mentioned i.e. http://merdy.79wp.com/

I tested this sub domain for logging in and it brings me right to the login screen as shown below in my screen shot - but I have no login credentials to attempt to login and see if it works or not.
    http://merdy.79wp.com/wp-login.php

But it does bring me to the log in page.

Therefore please send log in details for this sub domain to aecnu (at) insub.com so that i may continue investigating the reported issue.

Cheers, Joe

• saidmaadan

@aecnu!
    thanks Mr Joe. I have send the login details to the email address you mention above
    But the login page do open but when you enter the login details (username and password) and click send it will just refresh the login page and change the address on the browser from http://merdy.79wp.com/wp-login.php to s'thing like this
    http://merdy.79wp.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fmerdy.79wp.com%2Fwp-admin%2F&reauth=1

• saidmaadan

Whao!
    the issue has been solved now this is what happen i think sunrise.php i have inside wp-content folder is that of Domain-mapping and since i have Multi-Domain installed as well i need to modify it. This is how i go about it, firstly i delete sunrise.php inside wp-content folder and I rename dm_sunrise.php inside multi-domain folder to sunrise.php and upload it to wp-content folder. I also check wp-config.php i discovered that the sunrise information was place at far down, so i make adjustment and i place it immediately under WP_DEBUG information like this:
    define('WP_DEBUG', false);
    define( 'SUNRISE', 'on' );

Courtesy of Domain mapping installation guide: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/installation/
    Moreover i need to thanks you guys for your assistance @(aecnu and dreamwc)

But I have another issue here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/the-sign-up-page-is-not-display-normally
    Any help will be appreciated is about how to make this mult domain drop down field to appear beside the field (site domain field )where user will enter their username or subdomain so it be more appropriate for the user to enter their subdomain and then select which of domain they will like to use form drop down before proceed to the next field which is site title field.. But in my own case the dropdown field appear at far bottom down just before the signup/create site button.. can s'body help on how to correct this..
    the first screenshot is shot from wp.com sign up page , the second one both are the example how i want the sign up page to look and the third screenshot is how it look now you can read thru' the red arrow and write up for indication of what i mean... thx

• dreamwc

@saidmaadan I have to say something to you my friend firstly, not to make you upset or insult you but to make you think. The manual is the VERY first thing you should have exhausted before taking such a strong stance on lack of understanding or assistance on anyone's part in this forum.

That having been said, I would love to make an earnest attempt to help with your situation. So please allow me to begin by asking you 2 or 3 questions so that myself, Joe, or someone can help you from this point.

1. Ok, you have more than one domain entered into your MU system correct? The Multi-Domain plugin is what will come into play here, for adding a domain to your system.
    2. Once you have more than one domain added, and you create a new site or sub-domain (I am assuming sub-domain in your case, I seem to recall you said you had a sub-domain and not a sub-directory install but works either way) you should see the drop-down list appear.

Until it has the sites added to it's domain list in it's DB, it will not have multiple domains to show. And yes, this is a bit confusing. Quite honestly I believe I only find this easier to wrap my head around because I have networking experience (UNIX network admin) so I know this is difficult for someone with little to no professional networking experience to not be confused.

I think I am going to suggest combining these two plugins in a way to make the user interface MUCH easier to use. The end-user experience just isn't up to par for this area yet. We're getting really close though! The WPMU community has come a LONG way because of folks like Joe on staff here, lucky for us Developers. =)

So let me know if this is how you have everything setup, if so then we will start from that point and see what could be messing you up from there. Hope this helps

Kind Regards,
    RJ

• aecnu

Greetings saidmaadan & dreamwc,

I am elated to the fact that we have finally gotten saidmaadan's original issue finally solved.

In addition, I think the remainder of saidmaadan's issues at this point and regarding the topics within this ticket are of concept and how things work rather then things are not working.

I cannot add to the absolute truth of what dreamwc said about "exhausting the use of the supplied instructions" and that doing so actually will prevent most folks from having problems.

On a side note regarding instructions, the new support team at WPMU Dev which includes in the order of ascension, Tim, Joe, Gina, Arun, and Kimberly are working together with our team leader Mason James to bring the level of support at WPMU Dev to a higher standard then was previously available, and part of this work is being done with a complete remake of the instructions and documents found here on WPMU Dev. It is a monumental task that is already underway.

Now in closing a couple more things, first some rep points to dreamwc for his efforts to help another member resolve their issues and to show my sincere appreciation thereof.

Last, I am going to mark this ticket as resolved due to the fact that the issues that were the reason behind this ticket have been resolved.

Please if you have further issues do not hesitate to open another ticket. If the issue is directly related to the original issue of this ticket please feel free to check mark this ticket as not resolved below and to post any new errors or symptoms that you may be receiving.

Thank you both for being WPMU Dev members!

Cheers, Joe

• dreamwc

Thanks Joe,
    I stay very busy myself just to keep my head above water and fund my daughter as she is heading to college but I would be happy to help where I can with updating and revamping all the documentation. I appreciate the points very much, I just really want to give back to this community because speaking as a developer we have been needing you guys for a very long time. I, for one, appreciate all the effort, patience, and time that goes into every plugin, page, post, or forum help that goes on here and I hope this community continues to grow,

I love I have a community now to help me spread the word "Why reinvent the wheel when you can build everything the big corporate guys have with an excellent CMS like WordPress". =)

Keep up the good work gang!

Sincerely,
    RJ Levesque, Jr.

PS - and please do contact me if I can help the team in any way. =)

• saidmaadan

@dreamwc
    Thanks RJ, Sir I know manual suppose to be the very first point of contact/consultation for any related issue but at times thing get miss up and complicated, just for instance i have problem with multi-domains and got solution thru domain mapping installation guide not "multi domains guide" and if i dd not scrutinize enough i may not have gotten it solved and moreover whenever i post any issue on the forum is just in case any body might have fast ideal or knowledge about the issue and for any other person that may have the same issue is not as if i'll not do anything from my own ends and for the past 3days now i coudnt do any other thing than looking for the way out (i have tried so many thing) until it get done now...

As per the other issue, Yes i have two domains fro user to select/choose from and sites has been added to both domains i mean i have successfully register and create sites to both domains. The issue is about the user interface as you mention above the way the field arrange, Sir if u can kindly find time to study the 3 screenshot above you will understand me very well, the first and second screenshot is an example how i expect the sign up page to look and the third screenshot is how my own sign up page look, is not as if multi-domain drop down field is not showing at all but not in the right place, it actually showing at bottom of the page instead of showing at the top by the side of the field (site domain field) where user will enter their username or subdomain. and from the third screenshot above which is my own sign up page actually explain it with the two red arrow, the top red arrow is where i expected the drop down field to appear but you can see where it appear at bottom page after select language drop down field as the red arrow pointed out ..

• aecnu

Greetings saidmaadan,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the MultiSite display choice that is.

I almost missed this because it was still marked as resolved, please be sure to check mark the ticket as unresolved when submitting a new post relative to a ticket. We do not take offense for doing so and that is what it is there for :slight_smile:

Now to your issue, if I understand correctly this is about the multidomain name choice being at the bottom instead of towards the top?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings saidmaadan,

Please send me ftp log in details so that I may go in and check those files out.

You can send them to me at aecnu (at) incsub.com

I have checked your site myself starting to go through the registration process and I can see the misaligned domain choices.

Please advise.

Make sure to mark the email so that I know whom it is from by placing a link to this ticket within.

Any change I make, if any, I will give you details thereof.

Cheers, Joe

• dreamwc

Oh and just FYI guys - I put in a suggestion for this whole domain mapping/multi-domain confusion. It occurred to me that the only thing that really needs to be done is to combine the two plugins to make them work together in a way to make more sense to the end-user...considering most end-users will not be network administrators. LOL

I feel like the two plugins do everything we need, we just need to improve the user experience while using them, and I think we do that by combining them and making the interface a lot less confusing. :wink:

So if you agree to this related suggestion, please swing by and vote. =)

Vote Here

Kind Regards,
    RJ

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.