I have questions and need help with hummingbird pro

I need to know how my images will be affected if I reduce the size of my images on my site and if I can undo any changes if I dont like them

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Magie Cook

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The Hummingbird itself doesn't do anything to your images. It only suggests optimization which can be then performed using e.g. our WP Smush Pro plugin.

With Smush you can optimize images in two ways: one is "smushing" and the additional one is resizing.

Smushing is basically a compression. It can be loseless (that's default setting and image quality is not affected by that) or lossy (if you got super-smush option enabled). The latter might affect image quality so it's better to check it on a couple of images first - via Media Library - before running bulk smushing.

As for resizing - that's in fact changing image size and it can only be applied to the "full size" images, which are original image files that you upload to your site. In most cases they are not used on site because WordPress is creating additional images out of them (smaller ones) that are then used as e.g. thumbnails, featured images etc. Sometimes, however, original images are used so when you enable option to resize them, you should make sure that the maximum size that you set for that option is big enough (e.g. if the biggest full-size image used on site is 1500x1000 pixels, use that size as value for "Resize my full size images" option").

Another option - which also applies to original (full-size) images only - is "smush my original full-size images". That's the same compression as described at the beginning of my post but this time applied to those full-size images.

That being said: if you don't enable "Super-smush my images", "Resize my full size images" and "Smush my original full-size images" - there should be no "visible" changes at all.

If you enable "super-smush my images" but will keep the other two options disabled, original images will remain intact so in case super-smushing reduces quality of images on site too much, you can always regenerate them using a plugin such as e.g. Force Regenerate Thumbnails.

Finally, if you want to give these other options a try ("Resize my full size images" and/or "Smush my original full-size images") I would recommend enabling "Make a copy of my full size images" option as well. That will increase storage space usage a bit but in case anything goes "not so well", you will be able restore original images and then - like described above - also recreate all other sizes as well using aforementioned "Force Regenerate Thumbnails" plugin (essentially getting back to how it all was before optimization).

However, If the images are that significant for your website, I would also suggest taking a backup of them before trying image optimization. Our Snapshot Pro plugin can help you do this as you can create a "snapshot" that will backup just media files, with a simple recovery option.

I hope that explains how it works but if you have any follow-up questions, please ask and I'll be happy to assist you more.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.