I have run the WP

I have run the WP Smush Pro several times and it has smushed all my images but it's actually making my page speed score worse. thoughts?

• Sajid

Hello Carrie,
    Hope you are doing good today and welcome to WPMU DEV :slight_smile:

Please note that, image optimization is just one step to increase the website performance and reduce load time. There might be some other outstanding issues that required your attention.

But before we jump on that, let me please add one more thing here is that some theme authors use full images on the website instead of thumbnails. So in this case, make sure you smush original images too. You can enable this option from Dashboard -> Media -> WP Smush -> Settings -> Include my original full-size images. This will smush your original images now. Make sure you take backup of your website first or let WP Smush backup your original files, in case you are not happy with the results (chances are you would not need but still to be safe) by enabling Make a copy of my original images Dashboard -> Media -> WP Smush -> Settings.

Also, please enable Super-smush my images from Dashboard -> Media -> WP Smush -> Settings. This will smush the images 2x more than regular smush with minimum to 0 quality loss.

Please try above and then check again. If the issue still persists then please enable support staff access so I could take a closer look.

To grant access go to Dashboard -> WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access -> Grant Support Access or see this manual for more details regarding how to enable support staff access.

Take care and have a nice Sunday :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

• Nastia

Hello Carrie

Thank you for granting access to your site. I've checked your site with Google Page Speed Insights and most of the images need to be compressed and resized.

Based on your WordPress Media settings the current thumbnails are set to 1024px wide and 1024px high. So all of the imaged need to be resized to this size.

To resize images, please navigate to Media > WP Smush, under Resize original images set the new thumbnails size to 1024px wide x 1024px high and save changes. You will need to bulk smush all images again, this way all the images will be resized.

If you wish to keep a backup, enable Make a copy of my original images . This way you can restore the images that were previously resized and compressed.

Let me know how it went!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Sajid

Hello Carrie,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I could not log in to your site using support staff access, mostly likely the support staff access has been expired.

However, I did a google page speed insights test and saw that, there are some images coming from cache and plugins folder. By default WP Smush does not include images that are in directories instead of media library.

To Smush these images, please go to Dashboard -> WP Smush -> Directory Smush, chose directory and click on bulk Smush to optimize these images.

In your case, you need to select bb-plugin and instagram-feed folders.

Please note that, currently, you can not resize or convert custom directory images from PNG to JPEG at the moment. Sorry!

Any way, right now the smush and super smushing is enough to improve the score. Please try that and let me know how it went and also re-enable support staff access.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.