I have the affiliates plugin operating with the membership

Hi, I have the affiliates plugin operating with the membership plugin. In the membership plugin it allows me to set the terms of the affiliate payments. I am offering a free 30 day trial, then charging the member on the 31st day for the next month of membership. There is not a place within the affiliate or membership plugin to indicate when the affiliate should be paid on the signup/referral. I want to pay the affiliate after the 1st payment made by the member (once the free trial is over). Will the plugin automatically do this? Or will it calculate payment when the member signs up for the free listing? Do I control when the person is paid out (I think that I do as I have to send it for batch payment to paypal - will there be the option to use my authorize.net account to pay affiliates in the future?) If I control the payout time, this does not change the problem which is - when does the affiliate plugin calculate that a payment is due - when the client signs up as a member or after the first actual payment?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @gigi,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

I've just tested this and it credits the accounts at sign up, as it bases on the sign up, rather than the $ amount.

But the payments are processed manually be you in a batch pay/masspay PayPal file you download. So you could debit the account if they cancel the subscription and don't remain members.

Though I'll include the developer @Paul here as well

At the moment, on adding gateways, as the affiliate payments are manual and not automatic, this may not work over well, as you'd need a payment gateway admin side to then process the payments.

I'll add this as a feature request for you

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• gigi

Hi Jack,
    Wow, that means a lot of manual work to keep track of which signups actually pay. How would I be able to keep track of this in the report section? Do you have other suggestions for other affiliate programs that would work for this type of membership program? I am researching other things to use because this program is not helpful. How easy is it for my developers to customize this affiliate plugin to do what I need?

• Paul

Hi @gigi,

et me try and clarify. With Affiliate + Membership there are actually two transactions recorded.

The first transaction is the user signup itself. In prior versions of Affiliate this was tied to Membership or Prosites. But in the latest version I moved this as a generic WordPress function because that is what is actually is. So you would see something like the attached image showing the referred user signup.

The second transition you should see is when the Membership system actually receives payment for the user account. So as you mentioned you are giving the first 30 days free then Membership will bill on the 31st day. This should then record the membership payment transaction at that time.

As for your other questions related to payments timing you have that control. The Affiliate plugin simply records the action and based on what affiliate amounts you have setup does record the affiliate payment due for that transaction. But you control when and how the affiliate is actually paid.

• gigi

Hi Paul,
    Thank you for your post. Which version of the affiliate plugin allows the option to pay not on signup (which is how it currently is setup) and on payment instead? I am using version Version 3.1.5.1. Please tell me if i understood what you wrote correctly:
    The affiliate plugin will not show a commission earned upon the first 30 days of signup but will only register payment earned when an actual payment is received? Also, how difficult would it be for my developers to integrate the email / newsletter plugin or the affiliate plugin with aweber? Which plugin should they customize in order to integrate it with aweber? Thank you for your help and your response as soon as possible as I am meeting with them in a few hours!

• Paul

@gigi,

Which version of the affiliate plugin allows the option to pay not on signup (which is how it currently is setup) and on payment instead? I am using version Version 3.1.5.1.

That is the most current version and since 3.1.5 that is how it works. Again the trigger is not Affiliate but the external plugin. As I mentioned when Membership processes the payment it triggers an action to Affiliate. Similarly Affiliate integrates with out own MarketPress eCommerce plugins such that when an affiliate referral makes a purchase the order retains that affiliate information. When the order is paid or marked as paid it triggers an action to Affiliate to record the affiliate user payment record. So again it depends on when the external affiliate kicks this action.

Also, how difficult would it be for my developers to integrate the email / newsletter plugin or the affiliate plugin with aweber? Which plugin should they customize in order to integrate it with aweber? Thank you for your help and your response as soon as possible as I am meeting with them in a few hours!

Well depends on your developers. They can start by looking at the way the Add-on (Membership, ProSite, MarketPress) handle the Affiliate actions. Go to

affiliate/affiliateincludes/addons/marketpress.php for example and look around line 71. On that line you will see a WordPress style action hook to record a purchase action.

do_action('affiliate_purchase', $affiliate_user_id, $amount, 'paid:marketpress', $order->ID, $note, $meta);

Here is a breakdown of action arguments

1 action = 'affiliate_purchase' always this value.
    2. $affiliate_user_id - This is the WP user ID f the affiliate user who is to received credit for the purchase. Not the user doing the purchase. You can pass false as the value and the plugin will determine this for you from the cookies.
    3. $amount - This is the net amount the affiliate user will received for the transaction.
    4. 'paid:marketpress' - This can be anything you desire varchar(255). We user paid:marketpress, paid:directory, paid:membership, paid:prosites for our own.
    5. $order->ID - This is the MarketPress order ID reference. You can probably just pass false into this parameter.
    6. $note - This is more or less the description for the transaction. Will show on the affiliate report detail listing.
    7. $meta - Take a look at 58-67 of the market press file. Basically, this is information we collect to display possibly at some point. Also good to record IP address, user id etc. Just for dispute issues.

The transaction detail records are recorded into the database table wp_affiliaterecords but there is a summary record wp_affiliatedata which contains the summary of these. At the moment there is not a reconcile option. This is somewhat legacy code I inherited. Soon to change.

Good luck. Let us/me know if you have other questions.