– I have tried

Hi – I have tried to enable the GZIP compression using Hummingbird, and the plugin is saying that it’s not working. It said to confirm that the mod_deflate module is enabled on the server, and the hosting company is reporting that it is enabled. Can you offer any other ideas on what may be going wrong? Thanks!

  • Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

    Hello Ernesto,

    I hope you’re well today and thank you for your question!

    I have checked your site from outside and CSS, JS and TEXT/HTML resources are being delivered with correct headers for gzip compression (“gzip, deflate”:wink:. That suggests that the compression is in fact working fine.

    I noticed however that you got a maxCDN enabled (probably also some caching on site) and that sometimes may affect test results. Especially external CDN networks may be interfering here, causing “false alarm” results. It’s the same with external gzip compression testers. I tried 3 of them and they delivered different results. That’s often a case. There’s also yet another issue affecting this which is so called “query strings”. These are some strings like e.g. “?ver=1.4.8” added to JS/CSS files. They might prevent some resource from being cached/compressed so one of these plugins might help here:

    https://wordpress.org/plugins/query-strings-remover/

    https://wordpress.org/plugins/remove-query-strings-from-static-resources/

    Best regards,

    Adam

  • Ernest Canadeo
    • New Recruit

    Thanks for your response. I tried both of those solutions, and I am still getting the error. We locally hosted FontAwesome, so it was no longer on the CDN. I also installed the plugin to remove the query strings. Can you recommend any other solutions?

    Thanks

  • Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

    Hello Ernest!

    I tried both of those solutions, and I am still getting the error.

    I wasn’t clear in my previous post, I apologize for that. Those “solutions” that I suggested weren’t actually supposed to remove the error but rather help with those few resources that might not actually be compressed and/or cached currently :slight_smile: As for the error, I think it’s a “false alarm”, meaning that it’s not that the site is not cached but rather that the plugin doesn’t detect caching. However, I might be wrong so let’s check some things:

    1. your host confirmed that the “mod_deflate” module is enabled on the server (that’s good!) but could you please contact them again and ask:

    – if it’s set to handle following (exactly!) MIME types:

    “application/atom+xml”

    “application/javascript”

    “application/json”

    “application/ld+json”

    “application/manifest+json”

    “application/rdf+xml”

    “application/rss+xml”

    “application/schema+json”

    “application/vnd.geo+json”

    “application/vnd.ms-fontobject”

    “application/x-font-ttf”

    “application/x-javascript”

    “application/x-web-app-manifest+json”

    “application/xhtml+xml”

    “application/xml”

    “font/eot”

    “font/opentype”

    “image/bmp”

    “image/svg+xml”

    “image/vnd.microsoft.icon”

    “image/x-icon”

    “text/cache-manifest”

    “text/css”

    “text/html”

    “text/javascript”

    “text/plain”

    “text/vcard”

    “text/vnd.rim.location.xloc”

    “text/vtt”

    “text/x-component”

    “text/x-cross-domain-policy”

    “text/xml”

    – if not, what MIME types are handled?

    – if you’re allowed to configure “mod_deflate” via .htaccess?

    2. Check if there’s this code in the .htaccess file of your site:

    <IfModule mod_deflate.c>
    <IfModule mod_setenvif.c>
    <IfModule mod_headers.c>
    SetEnvIfNoCase ^(Accept-EncodXng|X-cept-Encoding|X{15}|~{15}|-{15})$ ^((gzip|deflate)s*,?s*)+|[X~-]{4,13}$ HAVE_Accept-Encoding
    RequestHeader append Accept-Encoding "gzip,deflate" env=HAVE_Accept-Encoding
    </IfModule>
    </IfModule>
    <IfModule mod_filter.c>
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE "application/atom+xml"
    "application/javascript"
    "application/json"
    "application/ld+json"
    "application/manifest+json"
    "application/rdf+xml"
    "application/rss+xml"
    "application/schema+json"
    "application/vnd.geo+json"
    "application/vnd.ms-fontobject"
    "application/x-font-ttf"
    "application/x-javascript"
    "application/x-web-app-manifest+json"
    "application/xhtml+xml"
    "application/xml"
    "font/eot"
    "font/opentype"
    "image/bmp"
    "image/svg+xml"
    "image/vnd.microsoft.icon"
    "image/x-icon"
    "text/cache-manifest"
    "text/css"
    "text/html"
    "text/javascript"
    "text/plain"
    "text/vcard"
    "text/vnd.rim.location.xloc"
    "text/vtt"
    "text/x-component"
    "text/x-cross-domain-policy"
    "text/xml"

    </IfModule>
    <IfModule mod_mime.c>
    AddEncoding gzip svgz
    </IfModule>

    </IfModule>

    Keep me informed, please.

    Best regards,

    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.