I have very slow TTFB and want to improve that

I have very slow TTFB and want to improve that.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Katarina

I hope you’re well today!

The site is loading quite fast on desktops and in Google PageSpeed tests I got:

– 0.2s -0.5s TTFB on mobile

– 0.12s – 0.5s TTFB for desktop

GTMetrix reports TTFB at 312ms (0.312s).

These test results are pretty much consistent across multiple tests (I repeated them multiple times) and tend to be closer to 0.2 second most of the time than to 0.5 second.

That’s a good result and I don’t quite see any need and, actually, any reasonable ways to improve that much. It’s unnoticeable for a visitor and irrelevant (at that level) for search engines.

However, I must honestly admit that I’m slightly confused about the case because the ticket says about TTFB while in chat there’s mostly conversation about Smush issues which were also discussed in some other chat of yours earlier.

I’m not quite sure then if TTFB is really what I should be even checking here or rather that was an honest mistake during the ticket creation (if so, I’m sincerely sorry for this!) and I should focus on troubleshooting Smush CDN/Lazy Load then?

Let me know please and I’ll be more than happy to assist you further.

Kind regards,

Adam

• Katarina
    • New Recruit

Hello Adam,

Thank you so much for your reply and thorough tests. Indeed, it’s been a misunderstanding as the TTFB was resolved by Rupok during our chat and we had moved on to Smush Pro CDN not working on mobile, apparently. We then got disconnected and a colleague investigated the Smush issue.

He created the ticket and my guess is that my initial Chat Headline made it into the ticket somehow.

I have been working on optimizing the site and it’s been a bit tricky due to the CSS heavy theme I am currently using. I came to the conclusion that I will change theme but I still would like to find out whether the Smush issue, not lazy-loading background images, is theme related or Smush Pro related as I definitely want to use parallax effect within the new theme too.

Thank you for your help, Adam.

Kind regards,

Katarina

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Katarina,

It looks like the issue is related to theme or page builder and it happens because the images are dynamically added after the page load.

So Smush functions are already done and then the theme/page builder is adding the image as background.

Smush CDN can’t handle background images in CSS files and but it should work when background image is added inline or via IMG tag, so if the theme you switch to does it that way and it doesn’t load the images dinamically after the page load parallax images should be served via CDN as well.

Best regards,

Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.