I installed Post Indexer in order to install global site

I installed Post Indexer in order to install global site search. Since installing and activating all posts in all blogs go to error 404 (WTF)...Yes I am freaking out. I have deactivated both plugins and still all articles go to error 404. How do I fix this?

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hello there, wlpdrpat!

First off, let's have you do a quick test and try resaving your permalinks on one of the sites where all the posts and pages are giving you a 404. To do this, go to Settings > Permalinks, and hit save with your current settings. This should bring your pages back up.

Post Indexer is pretty simple, it's simply creating an index or table of all the posts on your network. Is there any chance you've recently network activated a plugin that creates virtual pages? Many times, a permalink save is needed when new pages are created by a plugin.

99% of the time, WordPress 404 errors are due to needing a permalink save. Give that a try, and see if you can access your posts and pages again.

Thanks!

• wlpdrpat
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Yes, I had to re-save permalinks on 200+ blogs...nightmare. You should really have a HUGE warning on whichever plugin causes this behavior - especially for network activated plugins. I will assume it was the Network Search as it creates a search page.

Pat

• wlpdrpat
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Bojan,

I opted not to use it as when it changes the permalink structure it breaks my entire installation. Essentially, I defined a custom permalink on each site and as such I don't think this solution is able to work because it requires the default permalink structure. Se la vie.

Pat

• Bojan Radonic
    • Head of Support

Hey there @wlpdrpat,

I've been testing this on my end and everything worked fine so the issue may be somewhere else or it is related to specific permalinks structure which shouldn't be the problem since the plugin should index them by ID.

If you decide to give it a go again please let us know so we can investigate this further :slight_smile:

Have a great day!

Cheers,
    Bojan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.