I just became a member and tried to install the unzipped

I just became a member and tried to install the unzipped dashboard files in the plugins folder via ftp. I proceeded to my WordPress dashboard and couldn’t find the WPMU files. What am I doing wrong?

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @tony

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you aboard!

Please be sure you have uploaded the correct folder.

If you are uploading via FTP, please be sure you upload the wpmudev-updates folder with all its contents inside.

Do not open that folder and upload only the contents. That will not work.

• Tony
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I uploaded all its contents into the plugins folder. I even followed all the directions on this page. I also changed the file permissions to 755. Could that have an impact?

Further, after following the directions on the page noted above, my site is not working properly. I can’t view any pages as I get a “Content Encoding Error”.

• Tony

I reinstalled WordPress and the site is available now. Next I installed the WPMU dashboard and it was working fine, until I tried to install a plugin. I saw an error message, so I proceeded to enable the multisite thinking that was the problem. After following the instructions my MPMU dashboard is now gone.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @tony,

I’m really sorry to hear you’ve had any trouble with that. The installation process itself wouldn’t normally cause adverse effects like that. Could I ask which instructions you’ve followed?

With that, we’ll have a better understanding of what may have occurred.

I wonder too, if what you’re referring to is the difference between your Network Admin and Site Admin dashboard?

To clarify, Multsiite gives you an extra dashboard in the Network Admin area, where you’ll be able to make network-based changes. In Multisite use, the Dashboard plugin’s settings show up there rather than in your sub-sites.

You can access that Network Admin dashboard at:

yoursite.com/wpmudev/wp-admin/network/

You can also disable Multisite if you don’t need it by simply removing the changes you made in your wp-config.php.

Does that help?

Looking forward to ensuring this is sorted for you. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

David

• Tony

I have the step that is causing the problem. Hopefully this will help figure out why my site goes down and the wpmu dashboard disappears. It happens when I add the following files to the config.php file that were provided by WordPress after choosing “Subdirectories”:

define(‘MULTISITE’, true);

define(‘SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL’, false);

define(‘DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘examviewbanks.com’:wink:;

define(‘PATH_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘/’:wink:;

define(‘SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE’, 1);

define(‘BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE’, 1);

After adding the previous lines, my config file looks like this:

define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);

define( ‘WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE’, true );

define(‘MULTISITE’, true);

define(‘SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL’, false);

define(‘DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘examviewbanks.com’:wink:;

define(‘PATH_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘/’:wink:;

define(‘SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE’, 1);

define(‘BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE’, 1);

/* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Can you spot any problems? I haven’t added the htaccess files yet.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.