I just clicked upgrade and now my whole network is down.

So I carelessly clicked Auto-Update on Pro Sites plugin thinking it would just upgrade and now after running through the Supporter upgrade instructions and reverting back I can't get the network back up. I went from 2.2.8 to 3.0.9.

Here's the steps I took:
1. Auto-Update
2. Follow upgrade instructions, remove supporter files, update gateways
3. Look around the forum because it didn't fix the issue
4. Delete Pro-Sites plugin and download 2.2.8 and restore files as they were before the upgrade.

Not sure what's going on here but really would like to upgrade to Pro-Sites and keep sites up.

• aecnu

Greetings stephenway,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Is there a better way of going about upgrading this plugin?

We are sorry to hear that you had trouble upgrading the plugin. One should always backup the network and databases before upgrading.

In this particular upgrade due to a massive rewrite of the supporter plugin, there are specific steps to take to avoid a melt down as indicated in the instructions themselves.

Now I do agree that most would click to just do an upgrade, I admit do that myself (and I always backup), but this time this is certainly a special case away from the norm and almost certainly why you had troubles.

Once again we are sorry to hear that you had trouble with this upgrade wishing you total success with your next attempt.

Thanks again for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• stephenway

One casualty was the WP Admin Bar in wp-admin/index.php, but when I goto wp-admin/my-sites.php it shows, so I verified that wp-admin/index.php connected to admin-footer.php. This is definitely a new problem after the failed upgrade, but maybe I should be asking wordpress devs about it? I don't know. Help?

If there is something like screenshots or access needed to diagnose the issue just let me know and I'll provide.

• Jason

I recommend a host that offers on demand backups. Linnode is a good VPS host that offers this. You could have been back to where you were in 5 mins, and only a few clicks.

I don't know of any non VPS hosts that offer point and click backup and restore of your entire server.

I know that doesn't help you now, but maybe someone else will walk away with this in the future.

Good luck, cause I've been there!!!

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there! :slight_smile:

Just checking in to see how things are going with this one and if you need any further help. :slight_smile:

We haven't heard from you on this thread for a while, perhaps you got help over email. I'm going to presume your all fixed up now and don't need any further assistance.

However if you have more questions or need some more help then please feel free to respond in this thread or create a new one and we will be more than happy to offer assistance. :slight_smile:

Take care.