I just installed WPMU DEV Chat plugin. I get a pop up box

I just installed WPMU DEV Chat plugin. I get a pop up box when I am logged in as Admin on my site. However, I can't get it to open as a chat box when logged on as other users. I also don't see any type of address for choosing which other users I want to chat with. I want it to be available to other users, but to be private and only for logged on users of the site. I looked at Settings but couldn't figure it out.

• Milan

Hello @dawnjeff,

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

There are common set of settings you can follow to adjust different chat related settings for your users.

#1) Side Wide Chat Box
    #2) Page Contexed Chat box
    #3) Widget centered Chat box

Now based on your preference of chat box you can configure its respective settings for user authentication via Chat > Settings Page > Authentication page.

There are some options related to which login you want to offer and how you want your user to be able to sing in to your site for chat.

And if we talk about one to one chat then it is only possible among the users who are "friends" with buddypress plugin or our Friends plugin.

If A is a friend of B, only then they can initiate a private chat.

I hope this helps you. :slight_smile:

Please let me know if there is anything else in which I can help you with. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Milan

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jeff!

Is Friends plugin required for Private Messaging? I can't find Friends plugin for WPMUDEV. Where do I find it?

Without users being "befriended" only admins can trigger private conversations to other users. The BuddyPress "friends" feature or our "Friends" plugin allows users to invite other users to be "friends" and then these "friends" can initiate private chats between them.

This most likely will not be a requirement with a new version of our Chat plugin as there were plans for it to be rewritten from scratch to fully suit demands of modern market, however I'm not able to give you any predictions on when will that be released. Please note however that I'm not referring to minor "on the go" updates but a new major release. So far though, "Friends" plugin will allow your users to trigger private chats.

You'll find our "Friends" plugin here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/friends/

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.