i just replaced membership with the new protect content

Hi, i just replaced membership with the new protect content plug-in, but am at a bit of a loss how to get it to do what membership did without creating 500 times more work. This is a new site, under construction and i want to essentially lock the entire site aside from the home page and a basic menu, which the membership plug-in allowed me to do with minimum work.

The protect content seems to want me to add a page at a time to be protected, which is great for fine tuning, but with already 100 pages, not particularly fond of the idea of adding them individually. I was using the positive rules before which worked great and with very little effort. i am sure i just don't understand how to use this properly yet. Any guidance on how to essentially lock an entire site to all but logged members would be great.
thanks

• Tyler Postle

Hey Jacci,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

This would be easiest to do via the URL groups add-on :slight_smile:

Setup just a simple membership site type then go to add-ons and activate the "URL Groups" add-on.

Once that is added navigate to "Protected Content" and add in a url like this:

yourdomain.com/(.*)

This will protect the entire site except the home page, so you can place a login/registration form there if you like(assign it to a static page if needed).

Once members are registered then they will gain access to that url group and be able to access the full site :slight_smile:

Screenshots attached.

Hope this helps Jacci! Let me know if you have any further questions here.

All the best,
    Tyler

• jacci

thanks so much for that, i will give that a try, haven't had a chance to investigate any of the adons yet.

I do like the flexibility that this offers for another site i use membership on and this should replace that nicely and be much easier to use, but for this one i was finding it a little frustrating - i guess all new things have that learning curve !

Thinking about another application of the url too makes me now think of another exciting way to utilise levels of content which will actually work really nicely menthinks!

thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.