I keep saying to myself, "Goosfrabba!" but it's not working! Oh, and Upfront issues a

Attempting to modify the Panino theme for a butcher shop and use Marketpress to simply show product (no ecommerce yet).

First issue with using Upfront is with the "Main" or home page. I don't understand where this page exists in the backend within the Pages. It just doesn't appear to exist. All pages that were related to "Home" I trashed because, in previewing them, they didn't look like they belonged to the "Home" page I was editing. With those trashed, I still have the main page when I open Upfront. However, in trying to link the new business title text that replaced Panino in the Nav bar, I have nothing to link it to as a page. Issue 2 is related to this. BTW, my WP Reading settings is set to Front page displays - Your latest posts - , so thats no help in figuring out how this all works. I just understand the magic Upfront is doing with the Home page.

Second issue, as mentioned before I simply changed the text in the Nav bar on the home page, which is located under the header slider, from Panino to "My New Name" but I can't get the link to work, it just acts as if it was unlinked text no matter which link option I use i.e. Home Page or External link back to http://MyBusiness.dev, neither works. This behavior exists in the other page menus as well, same exact issue on the other pre-existing page navigations.

Third Issue is with the MarketPress plugin. On the Main / Home Page, I added a region in Upfront and would like to add the shortcode in order to show a product grid. Now on the backend with any post or page I can easily do this, but I cannot while using Upfront. When I tried to add and drop in the shortcode, well it just treated it like text.
Maybe this is by design, maybe I don't know what I'm doing here with Upfront, even though I have been through the recent training modules. Should Upfront be used only to change theme elements and not actually add content to posts and pages? This may be case and I'm not understanding. I am coming from a traditional Wordpress reference while also using Visual Composer/Uncode to "build" pages and posts. Do I simply create the region that I want the Marketpress shortcode content to exists and then modify the page on the backend?

This brings us full circle to the question, where does my Main/Home Page exist in the backend. I cannot add the shortcode to a page that does not exist.

I know this is long and 15 minutes of phone support would probably straighten me out, but not sure if thats possible. I've been through the Upfront training, but I'm stuck on a couple of these issues and I really want it to work before I give up and just use Uncode.

I am in Japan and near the same time zone (Melbourne) if that helps and I am a premium member.

I am at my wits end.

Thanks!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Kliqks,

Hope you're doing well today

I see that there's a bit of confusion about how Upfront should be used so let me actually start from the end:

Maybe this is by design, maybe I don't know what I'm doing here with Upfront, even though I have been through the recent training modules. Should Upfront be used only to change theme elements and not actually add content to posts and pages? This may be case and I'm not understanding. I am coming from a traditional Wordpress reference while also using Visual Composer/Uncode to "build" pages and posts. Do I simply create the region that I want the Marketpress shortcode content to exists and then modify the page on the backend?

Actually no, Upfront is mostly intended to be used from front end editor and the changes made inside the editor will not be displayed in your back end, except for the page/post content and title.
    Other elements added with Upfront Editor will only be editable from the Upfront Editor again.

Let me get back to your issues now.

First issue with using Upfront is with the "Main" or home page.

When you have "Your latest posts" option selected inside your reading options WordPress will actually use file from the theme itself, it will use index.php if there are no home.php or home-page.php files, this is explained more in template hierarchy here:
    https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/basics/template-hierarchy/
    So in this case it will use index.php file and because of this this page is not available in your backend.

All changes to existing home page need to be made from Upfront Editor itself.

You can still set static page as your homepage in case you want to use different page.

Second issue, as mentioned before I simply changed the text in the Nav bar on the home page, which is located under the header slider, from Panino to "My New Name" but I can't get the link to work, it just acts as if it was unlinked text no matter which link option I use i.e. Home Page or External link back to http://MyBusiness.dev, neither works.

I was actually able to replicate this issue by using beta version of Chrome but in normal version it saved fine, can you tell me which browser are you using?
    You can also remove the logo element, add new Image or Text element and link it to anything you want.

Note that menu region is global region so making the change on one page will take effect on each page that has that region.

Third Issue is with the MarketPress plugin. On the Main / Home Page, I added a region in Upfront and would like to add the shortcode in order to show a product grid. Now on the backend with any post or page I can easily do this, but I cannot while using Upfront. When I tried to add and drop in the shortcode, well it just treated it like text.

Where exactly did you add the shortcode?
    If you create new region you will still need to add text element and then paste the shortcode there.
    Shortcode will not be rendered inside Upfront editor but if save the settings and close the editor it should show properly rendered shortcode.

I know this is long and 15 minutes of phone support would probably straighten me out, but not sure if thats possible.

I'm afraid that we don't offer phone support

Hopefully this will help you up and I would also suggest checking Upfront documentation for more info:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/upfront-and-themes/

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Kliqks

Good morning Predrag,

I'm going to run through your comments and I'll see what my results are, and I'll add a couple questions.

"Upfront is mostly intended to be used from front end editor and the changes made inside the editor will not be displayed in your back end, except for the page/post content and title. Other elements added with Upfront Editor will only be editable from the Upfront Editor again."

Q- It sounds like Upfront does both Theme editing and the creation of new pages and posts, correct?
      Q- If I create a theme form scratch in Upfront/Builder and export it, will it require Upfront or Builder plugin in order to properly create new pages and posts on another site, or the theme now free from Upfront?
      Q- What happens if I want to change themes of another vendor on ThemeForest; do I loose the pages and posts data that Upfront is holding onto and not currently available on the backend, or are they converted somehow to normal posts? Or is the answer, "once you're on an Upfront theme, your page/post data has to stay there?"
      Q- Can a region with its element content be moved around, as in grabbed and placed below another region? Or is the only choice - to create a new region where you want it, group the elements, then drag them down to the new region and then delete the previous region?

"So in this case it will use index.php file and because of this this page is not available in your backend. All changes to existing home page need to be made from Upfront Editor itself."

Ok, this leads down a rabbit hole of layouts and Upfront magic and I suppose it's far over my head for now, but I understand now "where" my home page lives or is constructed from.
      Q- Is there, by any chance, better, more advanced documentation about how Upfront's layout templates work? The basic documentation does not get into the deeper details , and maybe that is again by design but just as Wordpress has great documentation, does WPMU have the same?

"I was actually able to replicate this issue by using beta version of Chrome but in normal version it saved fine, can you tell me which browser are you using?"

I am using non-beta chrome version 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit), just updated and still have the same issue. Matter of fact, I have the same non-link behavior with Safari and Firefox as well.

"You can also remove the logo element, add new Image or Text element and link it to anything you want."

I don't want to change it to anything other than what it is and have the link work. I don't have a logo that small and the text is just right.

Q- So, what can we do to remedy the link not working?

"Where exactly did you add the shortcode?
      If you create new region you will still need to add text element and then paste the shortcode there.
      Shortcode will not be rendered inside Upfront editor but if save the settings and close the editor it should show properly rendered shortcode."

I had the shortcode within a code element which didn't work; however, as you suggested, I added it to a text element and it appears to be working. I'll have to create some products to see what it looks like, but the filters and such show on the page when out of Upfront.

Ok, well so far so good actually, we just need to figure out the issue with the header nav text link not working, and if you could answer the other questions (Q-) as well, we might be off to a better start.

I appreciate your efforts sir!

• Kliqks

More...
    I did as you suggested and deleted the previous modified text Panino nav and created a new text box with the text linked. It did work; however, it was a real bear to work with the presets.

I wanted the new text to look exactly like the old text: I deleted to old text box - created the new text box and typed in the website title - resized the box and separators - selected the settings for the new text box and selected the u-brand-menu-m preset , nothing happen to the text, so I saved it off, still nothing happen - went back and set the link to the home page - seemed to accept it - saved off the settings again, saved the whole page and still the text looked like default text. Had to get back into the text box again and out and finally for no reason the text just popped into the proper style.
    It's like lagging to set and save the style preset which is very annoying. It's not acting like a WYSIWYG in real time as I would expect. And this is just one example, everything I do seems to have a great lag time. I have a pretty speedy Mac 5k, so not sure what the problem is.

Q- Is this common behavior for Upfront? It's like I have to slow way down to style the theme.

Thanks again.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Klikqs!

Q- It sounds like Upfront does both Theme editing and the creation of new pages and posts, correct?

Upfront - and I mean Upfront editor, the one that you run by clicking "Upfront" link in admin toolbar or by going to "Appearance -> Customize" - lets you customize Upfront theme that you are using and it also let you create/edit posts and pages. The important part is to understand the difference between the "content" and the "design"

Let's say that you create a post and put some text and photos inside. That is the "content". A post that you create will also be available for editing in WordPress backend ("Posts -> All posts").

However, if you put e.g. a "Text" module or a "Button" module etc on the site - that would be the "design". That means that it will "stay in Upfront" so you'll only be able to edit it in Upfront editor. Sticking to the Upfront's "Text" module - a text that you put inside become a part of the design (of a theme customization) and will not be available for you in WP backend.

Q- If I create a theme form scratch in Upfront/Builder and export it, will it require Upfront or Builder plugin in order to properly create new pages and posts on another site, or the theme now free from Upfront?

It will not require Builder but yes, it will require Upfront to be installed on site to work. Here's the case: Upfront is a parent theme and what we call "Upfront themes" or "Starter themes" are in fact Upfront's child themes. A child theme cannot work without parent theme That's exactly the same with themes that you build from scratch using Upfront Builder plugin. While Upfront Builder is a tool that helps you build these themes, it is not necessary for using these themes on site. Upfront - as a parent theme - however is.

Q- What happens if I want to change themes of another vendor on ThemeForest; do I loose the pages and posts data that Upfront is holding onto and not currently available on the backend, or are they converted somehow to normal posts? Or is the answer, "once you're on an Upfront theme, your page/post data has to stay there?"

Nor Upfront neither Upfront Builder will work with 3rd party themes so it's not possible to change/modify non-Upfront themes this way. Upfront editor and Upfront Builder will only work with Upfront child themes and that means either our "starter themes" or the themes that you or other Upfront Builder users build for Upfront.

Q- Can a region with its element content be moved around, as in grabbed and placed below another region? Or is the only choice - to create a new region where you want it, group the elements, then drag them down to the new region and then delete the previous region?

Yes, you should be able to drag&drop existing regions around.

Q- Is this common behavior for Upfront? It's like I have to slow way down to style the theme.

Not really actually. It's a bit more complex than that. While the performance of a computer that you work on may be an important factor (as Upfront editor works in browser so most of its code is executed in browser, therefore your local machine), it's not that important. There are other issues too like server performance, WordPress configuration etc, that may affect that "speed". Do you you could grant a support access to your site so we could take a closer look and see what may be the reason for Upfront's slow performance?

You may enable a support access for us the way described in this article (just let us know when you are ready with this, please):

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Kliqks

Hello again,

Nor Upfront neither Upfront Builder will work with 3rd party themes so it's not possible to change/modify non-Upfront themes this way. Upfront editor and Upfront Builder will only work with Upfront child themes and that means either our "starter themes" or the themes that you or other Upfront Builder users build for Upfront.`

I understand this concept, I was asking about the post/page content itself, if it would be available to another theme if we so choose to change themes. Your comment above "That is the "content". A post that you create will also be available for editing in WordPress backend ("Posts -> All posts"). seems to clear that up as a confirmation that ll posts and pages content, even if created within Upfront editor, will be available to any vendor theme applied.

Yes, you should be able to drag&drop existing regions around.

I am not able to drag regions around, or I don't know where to grab a region in order to move it and it's content under another region.
    Q- How does one move a region and it's content? Can you show me a page/link in the documentation or a video link?

You may enable a support access for us the way described in this article (just let us know when you are ready with this, please):

Is the WPMU support staff able to access a local development install?

Thanks again!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Kliqks,

I understand this concept, I was asking about the post/page content itself, if it would be available to another theme if we so choose to change themes. Your comment above "That is the "content". A post that you create will also be available for editing in WordPress backend ("Posts -> All posts"). seems to clear that up as a confirmation that ll posts and pages content, even if created within Upfront editor, will be available to any vendor theme applied.

Elements added via Upfront editor will not be available in other themes that you activate, however default Content and Titles will be saved in your WP as with any other WP theme.
    For example if you use Upfront Editor to add new page or post and then go to backend you will see that the post/page is there as well as its content and title, that's the part that will be transferred.

Q- How does one move a region and it's content? Can you show me a page/link in the documentation or a video link?

I believe that Adam misread your question before, Regions can't be moved, only elements can.
    To "move" regions you will need to save them as global regions, remove if after that and then load that global region in new place on your page.

Is the WPMU support staff able to access a local development install?

I'm afraid that this is not possible as site needs to be live and accessible from remote location in order for support access to work.

Best regards,
    Predrag