I miss the time features of the old site! Anyone else?

I really miss the feature on the old design where it would tell you how long ago (in minutes, hours,etc...) it's been since that post was made. Right now I look at the time and wonder what time zone is being displayed. So much easier to read a post and be able calculate when a person you may be able to help is online. Just my thoughts!

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

I liked it too; but if you look at the time it says after clicking send post. Then compare it with your clock it will only be a short time before you remember just by looking. Let’s test that now. 5 points to the first person to get the proper time zone being displayed. ready set GO!!!

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

See what? The times look the same. and only one of you antied up my 5 points for the win. lol
    Thank you mathew_foscarini! now i only need 3 more poeple and 367 points to reach my 400 gifted points mark. and 766 totle points. lol i gave away over 30 ponits the last two days. lol

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

@mathew_foscarini dates get me because often months and days and 2 digit years can be ordered differently.

@MTB1701 I was doing 11 to 13 hour days for months but over the last few weeks been getting a regular 8 hours and taking some time out as well. :slight_smile:

But before that the sleeping was all over the show, catnapping and whatnot. lol

Cheers.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey Guys @timothy and @MTB1701 plus all others here. What I liked before was that say whenever there was an initial question plus all of the replys it would say 1 month ago, 12 minutes ago etc. This way I didn't have to worry about time zones etc...

So for example if I'm searching the posts and it's 3am my time and say @PCwriter replies pretty quickly then I know what time he's usually on etc...

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

I do like the time posted in the initial post, but I also like the 24 hour format in the replies. It’s kind of like tickling my brain every now and then. :slight_smile: I think it also serves a global community better that a 12 hour format. It’s just too easy to get the AM and PM mixed up. Just the other day I called a friend to see if she wanted to go to lunch, it was 11:30 PM. If I had been in the forums I would have realized that. But hey I’m game for the majority vote. Can we thumb up or down it????

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@timothy Thanks for that. I do think that it would be very helpful in all of the follow up posts as well. As you know in another thread there was a very unappreciative person (I won't say anything other than he kept complaining about how long it was taking for someone to reply) (he kept wining :wink: if you get my drift)...
    Anyway it would have been nice to see ho long it actually took him to answer with the specific information needed to get his problem resolved.

After spending several days trying to get this information out of him and fix his problem I finally pushed to get you or someone from staff to jump in. Once he gave you to proper information @timothy "the man" got it done. (if you already didn't have over 8,000 points I'd have given you a bunch myself Just cause you're a great guy. So I'll save my points and just say that I ow you a couple of beers if we're ever in the same part of the world.

@timothy the thing that really popped my cork was that the dude never thanked you. Not only for solving a problem that was not yours to solve, but also for being sarcastic to the other members who were also trying to help him out.

Anyway cheers and beers to you!

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey @MTB1701 are you ex military? Just remember it's always 5 o'clock somewhere, just easier to look out the window and if it's dark it's probably pm... LOL

That's why I really liked the time listed as 1 hour or 10 minutes ago posted after the posts. Just because I already have all of this other code I have to learn and interpret let alone dealing with military time. Then on top of that try to figure out what part of the world they are responding from.

Also wanted to thank you as well as I had @timothy for helping deal with that other guy I mentioned above. You guys are great!

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

@timothy the thing that really popped my cork was that the dude never thanked you. Not only for solving a problem that was not yours to solve, but also for being sarcastic to the other members who were also trying to help him out.

@Dean Kaus I'm kinda use to that now it happens often in life unfortunately but in all honesty that thread wasn't so bad everything was civil and sorted so I'm happy. :slight_smile:

No reflection on that thread but I've had abuse thrown at me by some over email and even in the forums occasionally.

Anyway its the appreciation and support shown by some members including yourself which keeps us motivated to help others and makes it worthwhile. :slight_smile:

So thanks for the kind comments. I will ask Ve about having that on all posts in a thread. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

@Dean
    No I was just raised by a Vietnam era marine. lol I knew the him before preschool. lol. Most all my family serves in the military; both men and women. I could never stay out of trouble long enough to enlist. I actually have a website that is waiting for the fundraiser plugin to get smoothed out. It’s called the Purple Heart Project. It will be set up so that Purple Heart recipients can receive direct donation. That way nothing gets lost in overhead. It will be for all veterans of any war and branch. Also Dean I live just outside STL in the same state you do. “I visited your website” Also James_dunn is from Athens GA. I lived and have family in Douglasville Ga. Such a small world. lol

@Tim
    You are much appreciated, all the staff here is. I don’t remember the last time I learned so much in such a short time. I have notes and links that will take me months to fully organize and use. If I ever fall asleep I’ll probably dream of WPMU Dev staff member’s gravitars. lol I still think back to that first support email you answered. lol Good thing you have those British manners and patience.

Thanks Again. Have a good weekend fellas

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@MTB1701 I remember now that you're close by. I hope to travel through your area soon as my wife has family in Springfield MO and then on to see my son who is stationed in Mississippi in the Air force. I was a Navy man myself as was my brother.

I never did hear a follow up on you're project for your client, let me know if you still need any help. I pretty much am finishing up my last paid job with nothing looking good in the future. Photography and Video business for me is really hard to come by.

Have a good one...

Wait! is this the weekend already????

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

@Dean Kaus, there you go its done, its there on em all.

You have Ve to thank for it, hes like a machine working non stop. :slight_smile:

@MTB1701

Good thing you have those British manners and patience.

Guess you not been to the UK then? lol

They can be rather sparse depending on where you go.

Life is so, eh. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I was thinking about doing some WordCamps next year possibly. So if anyone if you are going it would be great meet up. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

@Dean
    Thank you to you and your family for your service; and I don’t say that as a vain statement.
    The drive down HWY 44 is very pleasant. I used to drive there to see a friend that went to SWMU.
    My client’s first event is Aug. 12. She needed some photos of old school cars. At the time I was thinking it would be something you could do in your local area and email to us, but we have decided to only use advertisers logo’s for now. I do think she is looking for a photographer during the event. This year’s photos would be used on her new site for next year. She came to me at the last minute not really knowing what she wanted or needed. So we put up a simple website, and are creating her a new website for 2013. Then all photographs from the events this year will be on her 2013 website.
    If you think you are passing through STL. On or around Aug. 12 it might work out for you. I will leave the details between you and her. I am creating her websites and helping promote the event for free. I am not too much into car shows, but it’s turning out to be pretty big. We have a Red Cross blood drive, Hooter hot wing contest, people handing out free schools supplies, private auction, Military recruiters; Chanel 2 is doing a promotion for us. All sorts of vendors. She is giving me free booths to promote 3 of my personal websites. If you make it down I could give you one of my booths. I am thinking of consolidating 2 booths into one, and having the others do foot work. The good thing is she will also be doing wedding planning next year. So that might work for you as well. lol I just realized I got a book going here. I’m going to start a new post to give a shout to Tim. How did you want me to handle connecting you and her? Should she email you or you email her? Thanks Dean

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

@Tim
    I am going to start a thread called “I miss the Military time features! Anyone else?” lol
    No I have not been to the UK yet. We did a family tree, and I am supposed to be a duke. Think you could arrange that with the Queen for me. lol <<< Castle and all! I met some British MMA fighters a few years back. They came here for the extreme fighting we have about 10 miles from my house. Even when they were rude they at least had manners about it. We was joking about how it was the politest insults we ever received. lol I was watching a UK series called “Ideal” last year; some funny S**T. if that’s how you brits really act I want citizenship. lol I saw something about wordcamp, but don’t know much; let me google it! brb I see here in the USA Phoenix, Minneapolis, and Portland are being planned. If Atlanta has one this year we should meet there. I could drop my K9 off with the family. Were you planning on coming to the USA, or somewhere else? I see that we could arrange a WordCamp ourselves. If we planned it close to STL it should draw a lot of people. We are in the middle of the USA. Tell me your thoughts. I’ve never been so I wouldn’t know what to set up or do, but if you got ideas I could make arrangements. Thanks Tim!

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Think you could arrange that with the Queen for me. lol <<< Castle and all!

Ya sure thing, because I know the Queen. She named a Corgi after me :wink:

And ya Ideal is a true reflection on us Brits, all stoners and all. :wink:

Johnny Vagas is a reasonably popular comedian, not my favourite I don't think he is that funny but the show is strangely watchable. lol

For Comedy look for standups from these:

Frankie Boyle (He can be real offensive)
    Lee Mack
    Lee Evans (A little like a more modern Norman Wisdom)

The first 2 I really like, Frankie Boyle certainly is.

As for arranging an event..... Well a DEV event would be cool but some organising I reckon. I was thinking about getting a flight over to the states for one.

You know many of the staff here have only ever spoken on the net/skype so I was hoping to get together somewhere. :slight_smile:

Stalk Mason and see where he plans to go for WordCamps :wink:

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.