I must move my WP site from Multisite to Buddypress.... how??

I need some assistance. Our website started a couple years ago as a Buddypress site using the Multisite. However, we never allowed users to have their own blogs. Then maybe a year ago there was some sort of fork/branch and some ppl were migrating away from Multisite and to BP-only sites.

I thought I successfully moved our site away from MU and to BP-only, but problems with plugins and inconsistencies with some things in recent months have made me think that either a) there are artifacts from Multisite still in the site; or b) I never successfully moved to BP, and I'm still using Multisite.

So, my aim is to eradicate Multisite from my site. It has caused problems, and some problems are screwing up because of it. I only want my site to use BP. My site has about 700 users, so I can not start from scratch -- I need to understand how to move from Multisite to BP without too much turmoil.

Any ideas?

• paperweight

too many to list~~ I have documented some of those things on this forum and others on the main wordpress.org support forum. I've kind of known for a while it was a problem and I would eventually need to switch.

For the next 6 hours, this is what I'm doing now -- just setup a new server, got a hostname, and I'm in the middle of installing ubuntu. next comes WP, then BP, then some configs, then uploading all the files/folders, then adding your suggestion of the User Sync plugin, then adding a plugin to find/replace database URLs that might have been pointing to old folders, then, hopefully, I will be done......

The fastest I ever setup a website from no server to full WP site was about 45min. I'm hoping this can all be done in the next 1/4 day. :slight_smile:

• paperweight

Thanks. I installed my server 3 times, and then did 3 different slight variations of moves. All did not work. I worked for about 8 hours yesterday, and then went to sleep. Awake now. And looking at it again. Here are the 3 errant tries:

1) I copied the entire old site's install and then tried to delete or alter files/folders/db rows that needed to be changed on the new install. One of the biggest changes I am making is putting the old site, which existed at domain.com/bp/ into the root directly at domain.com/. I had some artifact somewhere restrciting me from logging in -- each time I kept going to /bp/ folder and I find/replace all the /bp/ in the mysql and also changed the .htaccess and also disabled plugins one by one. All to no avail-- I could not find out how to "cleanly" rid the install of old multisite stuff.

2) I made a fresh WP/BP install on the new server. Then I slowly installed plugins -- I copied these from the old install since some also had other folders that had user-upload data. However, there were still inconsistencies in 3 main areas (and many small areas) that caused it to not work: a) the permalinks on the old site had /blog/ built-in as a prefix, and I could not find how to eliminate that on the old version so I could easily emulate it on the new site (I am probably confusing you already~); b) the old install has a blogs.dir (with data it seems only from the admin user) that still seems to confuse things; c) some of the mysql tablenames are odd in the old install and cause problems on the new. For example, the old mysql has tables like wp_1_options with that extra "1" artifact from multisite.... Here is a rundown of all the tables in the old install:

bb_attachments
    wp_1_commentmeta
    wp_1_comments
    wp_1_links
    wp_1_options
    wp_1_postmeta
    wp_1_posts
    wp_1_terms
    wp_1_term_relationships
    wp_1_term_taxonomy
    wp_1_visitor_maps_ge
    wp_1_visitor_maps_st
    wp_1_visitor_maps_wo
    wp_bb_forums
    wp_bb_meta
    wp_bb_posts
    wp_bb_terms
    wp_bb_term_relationships
    wp_bb_term_taxonomy
    wp_bb_topics
    wp_blogs
    wp_blog_versions
    wp_bp_activity
    wp_bp_activity_meta
    wp_bp_album
    wp_bp_friends
    wp_bp_groups
    wp_bp_groups_groupmeta
    wp_bp_groups_members
    wp_bp_group_documents
    wp_bp_invite_anyone
    wp_bp_maps_markers
    wp_bp_messages_messages
    wp_bp_messages_notices
    wp_bp_messages_recipients
    wp_bp_notifications
    wp_bp_user_blogs
    wp_bp_user_blogs_blogmeta
    wp_bp_user_blogs_comments
    wp_bp_user_blogs_posts
    wp_bp_xprofile_data
    wp_bp_xprofile_fields
    wp_bp_xprofile_groups
    wp_buddystream_log
    wp_registration_log
    wp_signups
    wp_site
    wp_sitecategories
    wp_sitemeta
    wp_usermeta
    wp_users

3) I tried again duplicating the old installation on the new server. This time I followed similar route as #1 but I thought maybe I missed some steps so slowly went through and tried looking through theme and plugin files for any data that might have been placed by something in the past that caused problems. Did not work.

Any ideas?

• Mason

Hiya,

I think the method in #1 should've worked. Since the WordPress MU merge into core the main site no longer has a prefix of '1' in the database.

I'm wondering... when you did the find/replace in mysql did you check or serialized data? If the URL was serialized then a direct find/replace wouldn't work.

I found a plugin that claims to help with this, but the author is very clear to 'use at your own risk'. However, since you're not attempting this on a live shot it may be worth a shot:
    http://interconnectit.com/124/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/

You also do want to copy over everything in the blogs.dir folder as this is still used by WordPress Multisite.

Let us know if that works for ya.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.