I need a Finnish user interface for my course...

Hi there,

... so is there a way to translate the text strings that are visible to the client & how do I go about doing that?

Very many thanks in advance,
- Johanna

• Johanna

Hi Ari,

Wonderful tool - thank you so much!
    I have started the translatiion and came up with another question or two. For me its okay to have the backend and instructor view in English but I want the students to have a Finnish UI. Is there a way to tell these apart? I have now translated the strings sort of randomly and left many untranslated that I know will not appear for the end user. And, if I leave a part of the strings untranslated, will they show up in English or will they be empty if I don't copy the original string into the translation file?

Thanks again & have a wonderful day!
    Johanna

• aristath

Hello again @Johanna,

For me its okay to have the backend and instructor view in English but I want the students to have a Finnish UI. Is there a way to tell these apart?

I'm afraid that no, there is no easy way to tell them apart. You can simply test the plugin and whatever you see in English on your screen, translate it. Though I just took a look at the Finnish translation and you've done almost everything!! Nice... I'm sending some rep points your way or your contributions. These are open-source translation so in time the community keeps improving them and adding things to that. You may want to pop over in a month or so and see if anyone has added some things or improved the translations so you update them by re-downloading the .mo file.

And, if I leave a part of the strings untranslated, will they show up in English or will they be empty if I don't copy the original string into the translation file?

If you leave something untranslated tit will simply be displayed in English. No need to copy over anything.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.