I need assistance asap as I cant get this to work

I have followed all the necessary steps as best as I could and waited for the domain A Record to populate. The four hours I was told it took pasted over 48hours ago and I still cannot get this thing to work.

I need help please.

Thanks

• Jo

Hi Jack, thanks for your reply.

original site is 20mill.com but trying to map smallbusinesshub.info to 20mill so I can add some demo content to that domain name. I did the whole A Record via bluehost cpanel which took over 4hours to propogate and still unsure where to go with this as it doesnt show up in my dash.

I was hoping to start creating demo sites, hence needing help asap.

Thanks

• Jo

Hi Jack,

I was intending on having smallbusinesshub mapped to 20mill thereby allowing me to access both domain from one wordpress install.

I am not sure if you are indication then that I wouldnt be able to develop smallbusinesshub as a main domain install like 20 mill.
    Anyhow, to answer your question about domain parked vs add-on I am presently onb phone with bluehost who is trying to add smallbusinesshub into the same directory as 20mill so essentially they would classify this as a parked domain.

I am not sure if this is the right way as I havent been able feedback from your end so I went and tried to help myself otherwise.

As it stands right now, they have simply pointed the smallbusinesshub directory to the same as 20mill. therefore if you went to smallbusinesshub url it brings up 20mill.

Presently I am not able to access or see any smallbusiness hub info in the the 20mill network dashboard. this is where I am stuck not knowing where to go with this

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Jo,

Thanks for the additional info, If I'm understanding this correctly, you want the same content to show front-end smallbussinesshub as it shows on 20mil?

That will work fine, but you won't have a dashboard with that then as it's just pointing, so by default on a multisite, you have a main site (maindomain.com), then you can create a sub site, and then copy the content to that to map.

Does that make sense? That would be the optimal workaround here, please advise.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jo

Hi there Jack,

Wow! I do not wish to have the same exact content as on 20mill to show on smallbusinesshub. I just want to add some additional info like eg. I want my demo content when clicked on link from 20mill it will redirect to smallbizhub and then customer do not have to relogin in to smallbizhub to access content if they were already logged in from 20mill and vice versa.

I want smallbusinesshub to host my demo content but I can develop that site content within same dashboard as opposed to doing 2 different log ins to 2 diff wordpress sites. It this not the benefit to doing domain mapping?

The thing that all your replies and those of your collegues neglect to answer is does it work this way and what steps should we take to achieve this. None of you videos support docs to my knowledge shows what this should look like beyond installation and your cute little demo video.
      Should I be seeing and option in my network area that will allow me to create a site domain as smallbizhub as main level domain or does it have to be a sub domain site?

What am I suppose to be seeing in my network dashboard sites area domain name list beyond 20mill's domain? should it also show something about smallbizhub domain name as well?

All this back and forth and my main questions are not being answered.

Thanks anyhow.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Jo,

Hope you're well today and thanks for the additional information.

Ah I see, in this case, yes you have the right idea sort of, on your multisite you create a additional site.

You can then access that domain from the my sites dropdown or in the network admin > sites.

On the sub site, you then map that domain via tools > domain mapping.

You now have two sites, your main site and a sub site with a mapped domain.

What am I suppose to be seeing in my network dashboard sites area domain name list beyond 20mill's domain? should it also show something about smallbizhub domain name as well?

In network admin > sites, you should be seeing a list of your sites on your multisite install and the domains mapped against those sites.

So you should have two sites, yourmainsite.com

And then a sub site, with a mapped domain.

Thanks.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jo

So @Jack Kitterhing, thank you for your reply.
    Even though you have provided some info there is still some info before that which I am not getting from you.

So after going into network admin my sites they are just a few things that are different from the instructions you provided above. I was still confused as I wasn't able to see none of the options you were telling me to look for from "ou can then access that domain from the my sites dropdown or in the network admin > sites.

On the sub site, you then map that domain via tools > domain mapping. "<== this is all completely different in my dash.

So I went to my sites and selected a sample site>then under info tab shows the site domain name info>I simply tried to enter the name of my sub domain instead of my main domain it was showing there>that was all I did and it seemed to work.

When I visit the site url it shows the new subdomain name etc. I knew it was easy but I didnt know what steps to follow as your install info didnt share much beyond setting up A Record.

You need to make some changes to info you put out there helping others to understand this critical step more.

Thanks Jack

• Jo

So @Jack Kitterhing,
    I stumbled into a problem. I will try to give a much info as possible so you get a clear pic. So I discovered that the subdomain site through 20 mill that I was able to map successful I think is working but it is in its own directory in 20 mill root. It was a manual wp install and is functioning on its own db. I found that only sites that are setup this way with the manual wp install is somewhat mappable(if thats a word).

So I tried to install a subdomain site from the network dashboard and it was created directly on main domain 20mill. When I went in to info section to change the domain root to smallbizhub like I did with the other one that seemed to work, it allowed me to change it from 20mill to smallbizhub.
    It then only showed a blank screen on front end. I am not able to make any changes to it whether is be for a theme or anything that allowed it to show on front end. I was also not able to locate this subsite url in my cpanel hosting area. It is funny who it showed up on the network sites area though, it being a manual install.

Anyhow, what I was hoping to accomplish was to create sites in one ms dashboard main site 20 mill which I can then have show up on smallbizhub domain including subsites. At present nothing that I install even in the 20mill network as a subsite of 20 mill isnt showing up the same way. I need some further help please.

I dont know if this is due to the small business directory being in the same root directory as 20mill. This was how the hosting company person set it up trying to fix my domain mapping concern when I wasnt hearing back from your end.

One last thing to note is that there is a dedicated ip on my account that works as same ip for all my sites on the account. not sure if this makes a difference as to why it is not working. While i was typing this last line i discovered another question.

Is there any way to map directory subsite created via regular html that doesnt use a db to my wp install? at present none of my html sites are mappable as they were not created in wp but previously done in html.

I am trying to get the installs in one wp install so I can then use the wpmu multi db plugin. Help please!

thanks

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Jo,

Hope you're well today and sorry about the delay here.

I had missed your previous reply.

Is there any way to map directory subsite created via regular html that doesnt use a db to my wp install? at present none of my html sites are mappable as they were not created in wp but previously done in html.

It's only possible to map sites that are on the same multisitie install as a sub site, it's not possible to map sites from another WordPress install or another multisite or static HTML sites.

If you could send me FTP and WP Admin login info I'd be happy to take a look at this for you :slight_smile: If you could send to contact(at)wpmudev.org with the subject line Attn: Jack Kitterhing

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.