I need assistance in importing csv data

I'm trying to import csv data to set up a database. I then need to go back and edit that database as an author. I tried custompress, and that doesn't seem to work well. Does anyone have suggestions?

• Alexander

Hi @rodder7,

CustomPress doesn't import via CSV, rather it can import post types that have previously been exported out of CustomPress.

Wordpress has an importer you can setup from "Tools -> Import" I does however require that the csv file be formatted for use with Wordpress.

Is this csv file existing Wordpress information? Or is it new information you're trying to import into Wordpress?

Thanks for being a WPMU DEV member.
    Best regards,

• Alexander

@rodder7,

I've looked around and can't find a plugin that can do this for you, but I can explain how it can be done manually

Before it can be imported into Wordpress, you need to arrange the spreadsheet columns in a way that Wordpress will understand. I would recommend you start by creating some dummy posts in Wordpress. Then export this as a CSV and open in Excel. Now you'll be able to see what the columns are called and what order they appear in.

Next you can take the csv from access, and format it in a similar fashion, or just the columns into the file you exported earlier.

Importing is a sequential process, so the order that the columns are included is very important, as Wordpress follows a set of rules when reading in CSV files. It knows it need to grab X number of comma separated values at a time, create a post, and put's that data in it. Then it grabs the next set, and so on.

Let me know if this makes sense or if there's anything I can clarify on.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there!

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this thread as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and, as always, for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.