I need help configuring ProSites and domain mapping

It could be that I'm at the wrong host or plan, but I hope that you can help me here. I'm trying to get a dedicated IP address so that I can set up a multisite network like edublog using Prosites, Domain Mapping, Membership, MHMCS WP Integration and Provisioning so that I can offer a full turnkey solution with recurring monthly billing to clients.

In summary, I've tried to deal with my host but keep getting no where. See their response below. Would appreciate total help setting all of this up and look forward to your host recommendation for total scalability. Thanks.

--------------------------0-Host Response-------------------------

We have responded to your support request, "Dedicated IP address page error".

====
Without a matching virtual host in the httpd.conf the domain won 't work. You could use the cPanel API to park the domains onto the account - it's not very hard to do at all but would be an additional step you would need to take.

Without doing that you would need a VPS.

Ideally we'll be making changes in the near future so that we don't generate default virtual hosts for dedicated IPs but as it stands there's no easy way to do that. The reason we do the default hosts is we have lots of customers that would try loading their site [while on a shared IP] via that IP, see somebody else's site and think they were hacked/defaced/etc. It's usually not easy to talk somebody down from that position and they tend to still be apprehensive thinking that something really is wrong. In short - it's been better for our customers as well as our support load to have default hosts on each IP.

• PC

Hey there Rafael,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

Which host is that btw ?

I will recommend you to choose hosts carefully and if required, switch them. What you are looking to do should be easy enough with a Dedicated IP.

A user comes online, signs up for a subsite, buys a domain and set the A record to your Dedicated IP and adds that domain to the domain mapping settings and job done as soon as the DNS propagates.

If your host needs a hosts entry for every domain, that is a no no as it will increase a lot of overhead work on the way.

In short, move away from Shared hosting !

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

• Rafael

Hi Mac,

Thanks for your detailed prompt reply. The host is MDD Hosting. Can you recommend a host for deploying a multisite network to the aforementioned.

Can you also guide me in the best way to migrate from my current host to the new host so that I do not lose any of the work I've already done for the sub-sites as well as the main site along with the databases, themes, and plugins. Thanks. I would hope to do this tonight.

• aristath

Hello there @Rafael, I hope you're well today!

Can you recommend a host for deploying a multisite network to the aforementioned.

I personally use DigitalOcean for my VPSs.
    They are really great (and cheap).
    For configuring and properly installing everything on my server, I use this script: https://rtcamp.com/easyengine/
    Pretty easy to install, and configures your server for maximum WordPress efficiency. You'll just have to tweak the webserver configuration a little to allow wildcard domains and subdomains.
    As for the migration process, you can take a look at this article: http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.