I need help customizing my theme

Hello,
Help! I'm definitely a newbie to customizing WordPress themes. I may not have picked the best theme from your collection for my purposes. I chose Blue Zinfandel Enhanced because I really needed a three-column theme. As you go through my questions and realize another theme would be better, please let me know.

First, I'm not sure if you can see my site via this support page from my Dashboard, sooooo, here it is: http://www.unitedcreditunion.org/

On to my questions, which I think are mostly easy to fix, but I thought you would be able to answer them quicker than I could figure them out myself :-0 ...

1. How do I change the navigation font color? I want it to be white, but I can't tell which div allows me to do that.
2. How do I change the sub navigation ... background color, width, font size and color, etc.
3. How do I remove the little calendar? It's cute, but this site is mostly going to be static and a date seems irrelevant
4. I need each navigation and some of the subheads to have different information in the left and right sidebars. Can I do that with this theme?
5. I can't seem to get rid of that little white padding or margin between the header and the nav bar. I want them to be flush against each other.
6. I'd like the header to be clickable to return to the home page
7. Once you click on pages from the nav bar, at the bottom of each post it shows (I'm assuming) the next and previous posts. I'd really like that to be specific to each section (i.e. Loans would list Auto Loans in one direction then personal loans in another. Do I need to go to each post and number them in order?
8. If not, how can I remove that feature?
9. And ... I need to change the footer to be more specific to my client. I'm sure that's easy, too ...

Thanks for your help!
Julie

• aristath

Hello there @joujouwood, I hope you're well today!

First of all, install this plugin: http://wordpress.org/plugins/my-custom-css/
    This will allow us to add our custom CSS without affecting the theme files and so you'll be able to update it in the future.

1. How do I change the navigation font color? I want it to be white, but I can't tell which div allows me to do that.

Add this CSS:

#nav li a {
      color: #FFF !important;
    }

2. How do I change the sub navigation ... background color, width, font size and color, etc.

I'll need some more info on what exactly you want to use there...

3. How do I remove the little calendar? It's cute, but this site is mostly going to be static and a date seems irrelevant

What calendar do you mean? I don't see any calendar on that page!

4. I need each navigation and some of the subheads to have different information in the left and right sidebars. Can I do that with this theme?

Well, this theme uses widgets so you can simply head over to Appearance => Widgets and put whatever you want in there!

5. I can't seem to get rid of that little white padding or margin between the header and the nav bar. I want them to be flush against each other.

Add this CSS:

div#custom-navigation ..widewrap {
      border-top: none;
    }

6. I'd like the header to be clickable to return to the home page

You mean ALL the header?

7. Once you click on pages from the nav bar, at the bottom of each post it shows (I'm assuming) the next and previous posts. I'd really like that to be specific to each section (i.e. Loans would list Auto Loans in one direction then personal loans in another. Do I need to go to each post and number them in order?
    8. If not, how can I remove that feature?

To remove it, add this CSS:

div#post-navigator-single {
      display: none;
    }

9. And ... I need to change the footer to be more specific to my client. I'm sure that's easy, too ...

What do you want to enter in your footer?

Please advise,
    Ari.

• joujouwood

Thanks, Ari
    I had already set up a custom css sheet without using the My Custom CSS plugin, but that is very cool to know about. My only problem is I went ahead and added the plug in, activated it, checked it out, deactivated it and then continued adding more css code to my original. However, nothing I have added to the css sheet I created after loading the plug in seems to be taking affect.
    1. I did get this to work, but then I played around with the plug in and now it doesn't work
    2. On the sub-nav, I'm not 100% sure yet what I want ... I know I want to change the background color of the list items to a blue (#BEC4DC) as well as the font size (I'm still never sure whether it's better to be specific or use percentages? ems or pxs?) and probably change the font color to a dark blue and the width of the drop downs. They look pretty big for the text in the lists.
    3. I was referring to the box with the date in it. I've tried .contentdate { display:none; }. It disappears when I test that in Firebug, but it doesn't work when I copy it over to the WP editor
    4. I'm not sure how to figure that out. I can only see that I can add widgets one time (to the main template, not to individual sections). Maybe I need a different theme with more templates?
    5. Same problem with number 3. It isn't coming through in the WP editor. And yes, I am saving it with each change and checking.
    6. Right now the logo is part of the background image because I didn't see a place to put the logo in this template, so, if it's easier to add a link to all of the header, then yes. If not, where can I add the logo and just link it?
    9. I have some legal lingo and some official logos that need to go in the footer.
    Thanks for your help!

• aristath

Hello there!
    As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this thread as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and, as always, for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Cheers,
    Ari.