I need help determining if I should be using multisite, buddypress, or both.

The plan is to have a site where musicians can pay to have a presence on the site where they can upload pix, bio's, vids, and mp3 files. Free members can stream the mp3's and rate them with the highest ratings showing in the chart on the front page. Members can also purchase music and/or schwag from each of the bands. I'm thinking that I need to use marketpress along with multisite to give each band their own "store", but wouldn't that compartmentalize each band site preventing users from browsing bands, etc? If not I may not need buddypress. I'm new here from the Drupal world...how far off am I?

Thank you
Jeremy

• wayoutwest
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Great concept Jeremy. Being relatively new to WPMU it sounds like their membership plugin and buddypress should do the trick. It's a bit complicated, but their support is pretty spot on. Please let me know when this launches!

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

Hi there,

I say if you want Buddpress,and MarketPress, you probably should just go with Multisite. Keeping BP and MP on their own subsites will make theme choices eaisier. Down the line, you might want to use ProSites to allow bands to have their own site on your network, so when they announce something on their site, your main site could easily pick that up and market it. You could also let them have a store on their site that is mirrored in once central marketplace that sells everybody's stuff.

Cheers,
    Paul

• Jeremy Paris
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks @wayoutwest. I spun it around my brain a little and I don't think the Buddypress + membership idea would work well because that would allow the paid user to create groups, but then they could create as many groups as they wanted. Thank you for leading me down that path though so that I could learn more about the membership plugin. I'm sure I will use that in a future project.

• Jeremy Paris

Paul, a big thank you. I haven't even explored ProSites yet until you tipped me off. That looks like an awesome plugin, and might work for my needs. I deactivated BuddyPress for now (and learned that I also have to change the theme to a non-BP theme to avoid the white screen) and set it up for Multisite. That went smooooth with the killer manuals in this community. I am about to install ProSites and play with that. I'm going to mark this as resolved, but will post an update once I get everything working. Man I'm loving this community!

Jeremy

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

Hey Jeremy,

Glad that helped. Reading what you said about Membership and Buddypress, I don't think you've got a strong enough argument for throwing out the concept. Of course, you're free to do whatever you like, even if it's just because! The thing is, YOU will have the control, not your users. If you don't want them to do something, you can limit their capabilities. You could set it up so only Admins can create groups. Still, I don't think you need membership, but you might want to reserve it as an option.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
    Paul

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

And about loving this Community, great to hear! At its core, this is about giving and receiving. You give to the community, you receive points, you receive enough points, you get free membership for life! But to get there, folks have to give you points too, so the more helpful you are, the better for all. And everything is codified here so others will benefit by just searching on the Community page to find their answers. If it hasn't been already answered, we're here to give it our best shot!

Cheers,
    Paul

• Jeremy Paris

Thanks. I think I need to tinker around with ProSites to learn it's functionality...then do the same with BuddyPress...and MarketPress, etc. So much to learn, so little time. :slight_smile:

Interesting about the points and how it's codified. I'll have to dive into the community and figure out how the points work as well. I see that I can give points but feel like the first time I rented a car in Vegas and had to valet it everywhere. Do I tip $10...$25....$1? :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.