I need help mapping a domain manually

I’m trying to map a domain following this article, but I’m not sure if I’m doing it right:
https://catapultthemes.com/mapping-a-domain-on-wordpress-4-5-multisite

I don’t have a dedicated IP and I don’t want to use a plugin to map the domain. The new domain is pointing back to the old site and the new domain is currently hosted on SquareSpace but I have my DNS access to point as needed.

So my experience was:
1. My multisite domain was setup correctly by default.
2. I successfully switched nameservers of my new domain to my host nameservers. The DreamHost "website coming soon." Page showed up as evidence.
3. I added the new domain as parked. The DreamHost "this is a parked domain" page showed up as evidence.
I4. In the Site Address (URL) field, I entered the full new URL to the domain name you’re mapping to.
5. I clicked Saved Changes and waited .... nothing happened. The domain is parked page stayed there. I waited 36 hours. Nothing. I don't even know how to troubleshoot it.

I don't know how to "point to the root of my multisite".

• Nastia

Hello Jeremy

Hope all is well!

- If the domain name still loading an old site the DNS are not redirected. Please recheck the DNS and make sure to point them to a new host.

- Make sure the mapped domain is pointing to the Wordpress Multisite directory. If all set correctly, unmapped domain domain.com should load the main site of the WordPress Multisite - yoursite.com

- From the Network Admin, go to all Sites, edit a site and open Settings. Change
    Siteurl and Home address with the mapped domain.

Please note, even the WordPress 4.5 can map domains without a plugin, a dedicated IP is still required. The Domain Mapping plugin can work on shared hosting with no dedicated IP, if domains are added as Add-on Domain and pointed to the site's main directory.

Let us know how it went!

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• Jeremy

More specifically:

- If the domain name still loading an old site the DNS are not redirected. Please recheck the DNS and make sure to point them to a new host.

The domain name was not loading the old site.

- Make sure the mapped domain is pointing to the Wordpress Multisite directory. If all set correctly, unmapped domain domain.com should load the main site of the WordPress Multisite - yoursite.com

The Nameservers of the domain.com were pointing the the Nameservers of the host of the multisite. How do I point it more specifically at the "multisite directory?"

- From the Network Admin, go to all Sites, edit a site and open Settings. Change
    Siteurl and Home address with the mapped domain.

I did this.

Please note, even the WordPress 4.5 can map domains without a plugin, a dedicated IP is still required. The Domain Mapping plugin can work on shared hosting with no dedicated IP, if domains are added as Add-on Domain and pointed to the site's main directory.

I do not have a dedicated IP, so in this case I parked the domain. But again, I'm not sure how to "point to the site's main directory."

• Oguz

Hey Jeremy ,

Hope you're well.

We can not do anything if your hosting provider doesn't support pointing multiple domains into one application (hosting). You need dedicated IP, if you don't have then your hosting provider should support pointing multiple domains into one application, there is no other way.

You can just reach your hosting provider support and ask for is that possible.

Cheers,
    Oguz

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.