I need help or suggestion to migrate my website host

Hello my friends,

I am making a plan to migrate my website to cloudways / digital ocean.

My plan was to use the snapshot pro to do this. In cloudways I would create an installation of wordpress + WooCommerce.

I do not do not understand server settings and also do not know how the snapshot works.

I wonder if you see any impediment for me to do this migration. It is correct I use the snapshot for this?

Can you help me?

Regards,
Jader Silva

• Kasia Swiderska

Hi JADER,

Hope you are well today.

Basically Snapshot Pro is a backup plugin, but it is possible to make a copy with it (if you have multisite with many subsites it will take a while, because every subsite need own snapshot).

So - first you need to install Snapshot in your WordPress on your old hosting and make backup. Steps for doing that are well described in documentation of Snapshot here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/#product-usage

At the far right of each snapshot listed, you’ll find links to download the snapshot to your computer - download it. If you are using Dropbox you can upload you snapshot there - we will need this file.
    To recover this backup on your new server you need to have WordPress installed and also Snapshot Pro.
    Next step is to import backup from your old site and restore it.
    Go to your new WordPress Dashboard -> Snapshots -> Import - you will see field for Dropbox, where you can paste link to your snapshot.
    Click Scan / Import Snapshot.
    Your snapshot should be on the All Snapshots list. From there you can restored it and you will have copy of your old website.

Please let me know if this is helpfull for you.
    kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska

OK - so question is here - how many time do you need to use Snapshot?
    From what I understand in your case it would be one time action - to restore backup on new server. So in that case I can't see reason why this could affect performance of your web site.

Varnish is layer between your site and visitor - it is kind of web accelerator - it is used on sites with really high-traffic. This could affect doing jobs by Snapshot pro - if you set it to do backups on your site with varnish.

If you are not convinced to use Snapshot Pro to do copy of your site I could suggest using different plugin called Duplicator https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Please let me know if we are on the same page with this issue.

kind regards,
    Kasia