I need help to build a CustomPress global product category list for GridMarket-MartketPress.

GridMarket Theme. Require simple CustomPress (CP) steps to setup a clean global product category list for a MarketPress (MP) network.

Question

Will jquery vertical accordion sidebar widget pull a CP list in directly? Or will I have to format a Menu in Appearance/Menus first? (I created an MP Product Category Menu this way, but Menus-editor cut my list short by 18 items. That is why I am starting over).

Completed

- Outlined 10 parent categories, each with 10 child categories.

- Installed jquery vertical accordion menu plugin; tested sidebar widget.

- Installed user role editor to remove "manage_categories" from site admins. CP settings also use/display content types at network level.

Issues affecting success of main-site menu:
1) GridMarket sidebar kicks out widgets. Does it have a height or content restriction?
2) Will the jquery sidebar widget recognize my CP product category list?
3) How does CP list replace the MP product category list, so shop merchants can categorize their products?
4) If I build a menu this way, outside of the MP global shortcodes, how does my main site menu know to display global products, and not local ones?
5) Where do I find mp-database to clean up my past list attempts? Is this necessary if I have not built any shops by my test site?
5) Also - Will multisite user management plugin conflict with user role editor plugin?

I am very close to building my first shop and testing out all my hard work!

Thanks so much.

• Ash

Hello @MoniQ

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

As you have another thread regarding same issue, I will suggest you to continue over there as we have lot more information in that thread, It may arise confusion too.

jquery vertical accordion sidebar widget

Is that any specific widget or you are talking about the cone snippet I provided?

1) GridMarket sidebar kicks out widgets. Does it have a height or content restriction?

No, it doesn't have any height restriction. It may happen if any closing html tag is missing in any custom code.

2) Will jquery sidebar widget recognize my CP product category list?

Is that any specific widget or you are talking about the cone snippet I provided? Though it should not get CP product automatcially.

3) How does CP list replace the MP product category list for shop merchants to choose from?

You need to write custom code for that. Though I wonder why you need CP list to do that.

4) If I build a menu this way, outside of the MP global shortcodes, how does my main site menu know to display global products, and not local ones?

You need to use filter to show those menus in main menu. For example:

add_filter('wp_nav_menu_items', 'add_more_menu', 10, 2);
    function add_more_menu($items, $args)
    {
        // Create your extra menu items here and concatenate with $items
        return $items;
    }

5) Where do I find mp-database to clean up my past list attempts? Is this necessary if I have not built any shops by my test site?

You can remove your test products and categories from dashboard. Otherwise, you can delete all MP tables, delete the plugin and install again. Keep a backup first if you play with database.

5) Also - Will multisite user management plugin conflict with user role editor plugin?

By default, they won't conflict with each other but it may conflict and that depends on you, how you are editing roles and capabilities.

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• MoniQ

Ashok, I opened this thread because I gave up on MarketPress. I was getting ready to create a taxonomy for product_categories in custompress to solve my display and search issues. I was hoping for easy steps to make this happen.

I take it you don't think this is necessary, and that I should continue using MarketPress system available and solve my current issues in this thread.

If I don't go the CP route, I will need help with the Appearance/Menus step, the global menu search in main site, and my crazy sidebar. I will go back to the other thread to explain further.

I am leaving this open just in case :slight_smile:

Thanks Ashok.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.