I need simple intruction to a simple solution

Hi, I am trying to set up my site for membership and the plugin is just too complex for my simple needs. Can you give me instruction?

I simply want a user to click on register and choose between a free membership which goes to one page and pro membership that goes to another. Thats all!!

If someone is already registered they click on a sign in.

No protected content
No drip feed

• Charlie Pryor

Hey John, welcome to the forums!

I recommend looking into the in-depth video tutorial series for the Membership plugin as I believe this will take away a lot of the confusion you might have. I walk you through everything step-by-step, and explain the importance or significant uses for each feature while I do it (give you a better understanding of things).

In terms of exactly what you want to do, check out Video #10, and video #11 especially, although I still recommend the whole series.

In a nut shell though, this is your workflow:
    1) Create Access levels that have strict permissions as to what they are allowed to access, whether it's free or pro.
    2) Create subscription plans that assign users to access levels based on set criteria (have they paid? How long is the subscription term? etc.)
    3) Make sure the pages inside "Membership Menu > Options > Membership Pages are set to the pages you wish to use (you can edit these pages).
    4) Create buttons or links to the registration page and give people a choice to sign up for one or the other.
    5) Make sure your payment gateways are set properly to insure that if people do want a subscription plan that requires payment, you can accept the money.

All of these elements (not necessarily in that order) are pretty much a requirement for your goals as far as I can see. your end users will have a much different workflow though, only needing to click a link and choose a subscription to sign up for. Your workflow, as an admin, is a bit more involved, but that series will help you with all of it.

Hope that helps,

- Charlie

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @John,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

No protected content

In this case I don't believe that membership would be the best solution, as you'd need multiple levels that all access to the same.

So technically, you could set up a new access level in membership > access levels > add new, drag all the relevant rules across and save.

Repeat for your other level, then in membership > subscriptions > add new, add a subscription with one access level, and then another subscription with the other access level.

You'll then need to allow a visitor access, which you'll need to create another access level and add the content you want them to see.

You can then set that visitor level in membership > options.

All pages in membership > options > membership pages will also need setting.

On the separate page registration did you want to have a different page per registration?

Membership is a very complex plugin, but we're here to help :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• John

Okay Guys, thanks for the help, i think im getting somewhere. I have managed to set up my subscription but how does someone sign up for the free account from the same page?

heres the scenario.

Level 1 - Free
    User clicks on register and they get 2 option "free" or "pro", they choose "free", they sign up and they end up on a sepcific url: mydomain/freearea

Level 2 - Pro
    User clicks on register and they get 2 option "free" or "pro", they choose "pro", they sign up and they end up on a sepcific url: mydomain/memberarea

• Charlie Pryor

The registration page you create (Membership Options > Membership Pages) will be automatically populated with all Membership subscriptions you have made public and active. They'll have the choice to sign up from there.

Redirecting to different pages based on subscription signup isn't really possible I don't believe, BUT, you could then customize this page, and using Membership shortcodes, reveal certain information to free members, and different information to pro. You would effectively be revealing different information to different people, on the same page.

- Charlie

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @John,

Hope you're well today and thanks for the additional information.

@Charlie Pryor is spot on with how it handles the registration process, could you post a screenshot of your free subscription plan please from an admin view in wp-admin > subscriptions > free subscription > edit :slight_smile:

Could you check you only have one gateway enabled, for example PayPal will handle the free subscriptions, so the free subscriptions gateway shouldn't also be active.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.