I need to clone a site (create a development instance).

Hi -

I need to clone an existing site to create a development site for some new work that we don't want to put on production before testing. The existing production site is NOT part of a multisite install. I want the dev site to be an exact duplicate. I tried exporting and then importing but the (manually created) edit and admin links point back to production. This site is a CMS and has a very large uploads folder (copying via FTP is impractical and will impact my monthly file transfer allocation). Is your Clone plugin suitable for this task? Or this: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-clone-by-wp-academy/

Thanks in advance!

• Vaughan

Hi @mikebaronps,

Hope you're well?

Unfortunately Cloner plugin only works within a multisite environment it can't be used for site migrations.

However, you can certainly use our snapshot plugin to do what you ask.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/

You simply create a snapshot of your site, then install wordpress & snapshot onto a completely different site. once done you then import the snapshot that you created on your production server into your new dev site. Once it's imported, you can then select the snapshot, click edit. then you can change the domain of the snapshot file, this will then change all the paths & URLs for you when you then restore that snapshot.

Hope this helps

• mikebaronps

Hi Vaughan,

Revisiting this topic. I installed snapshot on our dev server, took a snapshot and then downloaded the zip file to my local box. Then I installed snapshot on my production box (a separate server), uploaded (via FTP) the zip file from the dev snapshot to the snapshot directory of the production server. Ran import and it shows up as described.

Here's where I got stuck. You wrote that "once it's imported, you can then select the snapshot, click edit. then you can change the domain of the snapshot file, this will then change all the paths & URLs for you when you then restore that snapshot."

My edit snapshot screen looks different than yours. (See attached.) There's no "Blog" field on mine. Is there a way for me automatically update the path in the files I want to restore to reflect the new server info (domain name and subdirectories)?

Thanks in advance.

• calvinrogercanas

Hey there @mikebaronps

Hope you're well! :slight_smile:

You can't see the blog name option when you are duplicating single site. In my understanding you want to clone the production site to your dev site. So you would take a snapshot of your production site then find the .zip of that snapshot (if you choose to generate it locally ) in your production's "upload" folder then put it to your dev's "upload' folder. Navigate to Snapshots > Import > Click the "scan'" button refer: http://prntscr.com/5zd5u7 then if you see the success message go to "All Snapshots" and you will see you can now "restore" it.

Let me know if it helps! :slight_smile:

Take care,
    Calvin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.