I need to get rid of this big red bar without installing WPMU Dev Dashboard on my clients sites &quo

I don't have this plugin installed, But I need the big red bar to go away someone once suggested a plugin that was supposed to do just this but it didnt work.

I can't have clients having access to my wpmudev dashboard but I don't want them to login to an admin panel with a big red warning either.

• startify
    • New Recruit

Oh hey I think i was misunderstood, I dont want to install the plugin and dont want my clients to have access to it. I don't care where its positioned or if any plugin developer is egotistical (*snicker*) I just dont want the red notice for not installing it. Seems like I should be able to opt out of installing it or there might be a way to remove it?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Mark, thanks for pitching in on this one :slight_smile:

@startify,

Greetings and thanks for writing on the forums.

I can't have clients having access to my wpmudev dashboard but I don't want them to login to an admin panel with a big red warning either.

Installing it does not give your clients access to your WPMU DEV Dashboard. It and its settings and notices are only limited to be displayed to the admin who installed and configured this plugin, unless you want to change the code as per the usage page Mark mentioned above.

Installing this plugin gives the super admins and easy way to keep the plugins and themes up to date, which is not only necessary for the functionality of the plugins, but also the security of the site.

I hope that makes sense !

I don't care where its positioned or if any plugin developer is egotistical (*snicker*) I just dont want the red notice for not installing it

Well, I would not prefer saying that as our Developers have invested their man hours in designing that plugin not for branding our products but provide ease of access to the users.

Please let me know if you need more guidance in getting that setup for you.

Cheers
    PC

• startify
    • New Recruit

Yea i see what you are getting at.

I don't care where its positioned or if any plugin developer is egotistical (*snicker*) I just dont want the red notice for not installing it

Well, I would not prefer saying that as our Developers have invested their man hours in designing that plugin not for branding our products but provide ease of access to the users.

I was just referring to another thread where some guy was going off on the developers for being "arrogant" because they positioned it rather high in the menu bar, it was tongue in cheek nothing more I assure :slight_smile:

I think the problem Im having and the other guy that was complaining in the thread mentioned above is that we are setting up our clients as admins and maybe we shouldnt be, and just reserving that for ourselves. Is that a "best practice"?

Thanks!

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello startify,

Thanks for the rep points ! I was also pointing out in the same direction and it seemed that the direction went wrong with the selection of words :slight_smile:

Well, most of our members use our plugins to design and develop client sites and well they deserve it !

However, If you are delivering a website to your client (i.e. not managing that yourself), and want to use a fair practice, then this is what I do.

1: I install wordpress using an admin account
    2: Design and develop it and configure the plugins and the dashboard plugin
    3: Set the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin to only show notice to the admin (In this case to the admin who installs it sees the notifications)
    4: Create an admin account for the client and remove my account using that and deliver the project.

Yes, this leaves the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin in the plugin section of the site however does not bug my clients.

On the other hand, if you do not want to do that, just remove the update code from the plugin and deliver it to the client. But modifying the core would be over written as soon as the client comes back to you asking for the plugin to be updated to the latest versions and you would have to redo that all over !

Cheers
    PC

• startify
    • New Recruit

Yes, this leaves the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin in the plugin section of the site however does not bug my clients.

Thanks for the reply thats very helpful actually!

One more question about that: I read somewhwere that im only aloud 20 concurrent installs of this plugin do to an API limitation and we have several more than that. Can you address this?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

That 20 concurrent limit is only for Auto Updates, you can install the plugins on as many sites as you want, just the Auto Update feature of the plugins (Using WPMU Dashboard plugin) would be limited to that number using the API Key.

You can disable the auto updates on the sites which you simply deliver to the client as they anyways would not be using the Dashboard plugin as it uses your API Key.

is there a place i can as a member suggest to the developers to make the red bar something you can at least dismiss?

I have moved this post to the features and feedback section which is reviewed for user requests and depending on how many users are looking for a particular thing to be implemented, our developers pick the requests up :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

define(‘WPMUDEV_HIDE_BRANDING’, true); doesnt seem to hide the branding

define('WPMUDEV_HIDE_BRANDING', true);

Please use an editor like notepad++ to see if the code is using the right format of quotes. At times copy paste does not work well.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.