I need to speed up a website and i got 2 advices: 1.

I need to speed up a website and i got 2 advices:
1. Varnish
2. w3total cache for wordpress

Wat do you advice when its about speeding up the websites?

• faydra_deon

@jeroen_kooij:

WP Super Cache is a better choice, in my opinion, than W3 Total Cache, and WP Super Cache is easier to configure.

Even if you're not hosted with Hostgator, they have some good information about both caching plugins and even information about recommended settings for WP Super Cache: http://support.hostgator.com/articles/specialized-help/technical/wordpress/w3-total-cache-wordpress-plugin

Using a CDN, in addition to the caching plugin, is a good idea, too.

I wrote an article about Cloudinary, which is the CDN I use. Here's a link: http://www.examiner.com/review/images-load-faster-wordpress-with-free-cloudinary-content-delivery-network

A caching plugin and a CDN will definitely help your site load faster.

Also, delete any plugins that you're not using, because they'll slow your site down, even if they're deactivated.

Faydra...

• Ash

Hello @Jeroen

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

If you want to speed up your wordpress site, first of all use a dedicated server. Wordpress is slow in shared hosting. If you think your site is fast in shared hosting, guess you will get more speed in a dedicated server :slight_smile:

Later on, I am totally agree with @faydra_deon about WP Super Cache. This one is very easy to configure and works well. But if you are good with complexity, you can go with W3 Total Cache as it has a lots of option.

Also, IMO, varnish doesn't seem to be a good alternative.

Please let me know if it is helpful and feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• faydra_deon

@Jeroen:

There's a lot of misperceptions around Cloud Servers for hosting websites.

I'd suggest staying away from cloud hosting, because you're usually going to be pay for far more than you're going to know how to use.

I just started VPS hosting with MediaTemple, and it's working well for me.

This is after trying VPS hosting with Hostgator, Jumpline, GoDaddy (yes, they have VPS hosting but people don't know it, IX Webhosting and Dreamhost.

The difference with MediaTemple, compared to all those others, is that there was little wait-time to get my VPS set up and ready to go. It was done in minutes.

Those other companies I tried to go with were taking forever, especially Jumpline, who made me wait two days and then wanted me to go through some long verification process. Ugh.

Anyway, here's a link to MediaTemple, if you decide to give them a go: http://www.mediatemple.net/#a_aid=5288d4d3970c3 That's a referral link. If you use it, I'll get a little chump change for referring you.

I also have referral links for the other hosts I mentioned above, so please don't think I'm steering you to Media Temple because I'll get something from them that I won't get from the others. Media Temple is just better, in my opinion, especially when it comes to getting you up and running without a lot of nonsense.

If you go with them, and you need help, please let me know.

By the bye, Media Temple does offer cloud hosting, if you're just got your heart set on being a part of the next big trend in hosting. :o)

Faydra...

• Brashell

Hey, gonna jump in this conversation and tell you that everyone here is wrong and DONT use a cache plugin. DONT get a dedicated server either. There are two things that I use that get my site that load over 50 file when you visit it to load under 3.5 seconds. http://affl.sucuri.net/?affl=72e0459d393cc802d9fbf42aa53a59cf&trid=test&cloudproxy It not only speeds up your site by caching for you but also protects you from hackers with SQL injection protection, DDOS, Bruteforce, etc, from the makers of the lovely sucuri. The guys that the wordpress community is always talking about. Super cheap too. Then use the free Better WordPress Minify plugin. You don't need to spend hundreds on a dedicated to go faster, trust me.

• Nick Simpson

Wow, everybody has got an affiliate link :slight_smile:

Well, web site speed can be effected by many different bottlenecks. If you are on a shared host, you could be getting the short end of the stick when it comes to resources. However, if you do not have a large database, you really should not need a lot of horse power on the server side. If your page loads lots of content from external sources, this can slow you down. If you have a lot of plugins, this can slow you down. If you have a lot of images, especially large un-optimized ones, this can slow you down.

What you really need to do is to locate what is actually slowing down your website, then and only then, can you come to a real conclusion and resolve the issue.

Fast hosts using ssd drives and good quality hardware is a good way to help, but it may just be putting a crutch on a person that really has a head injury, if you know what I mean.

Go here, find out what is slowing you down, then you can choose an appropriate fix or affiliate link from above....lol

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/

You will want to choose the "analyse your site online" at the bottom to get started.

Cheers and hope this helps Jeroen,

Nick

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.