I need WP Multisite in order to use Multidomains?

I have installed Multidomains, but now I am asked to install WP Multisites. So I get this here or is there a free plugin?

• Kingdom Studios
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey @Izaak,

Welcome to WPMU DEV and the forum. Glad you are here!

WP Multisites is free, it is just a matter of setting it up. You can find instructions here ...
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/

However, first you must ask yourself if you really need multisite. Are you looking to manage multiple sites? If you are just wanting to have multiple sites point to your one site, you can use the dns settings.

Can you share more about what you are trying to accomplish?

Regards,

Martin

• Izaak
    • New Recruit

I buy, sell, and every once in a while broker domains and I like to develop based on ideas of what the domains could be used for. So, what do you think is the best option? I would like to upload different theme/templates based on the domain names I am selling.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Izaak,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

Multisite is a configuration of WordPress, WordPress have a great guide here http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network :slight_smile:

Multi-domains is for allowing your users to register sub site at domains apart from the primary domain.

i.e, they could register a site at domain1.com and domain2.com :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Kingdom Studios
    • The Bug Hunter

@Izaak,

Well, it appears that multisite is right for you either way you go.

You ultimately have to determine your business plan. If you like to develop single themes/functionality, and then sell what you develop, you don't necessarily need the templates. Personally, I like the idea of creating templates based upon functionality and then show the client that based upon their needs, we can design the pages to suite more of their desire. Then you are not left re-creating the wheel for each client.

My two cents,

Martin

• Webmaster
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

@Izaak,

If you even *might* transfer the website with a domain when you sell it, then you're better off setting up individual WordPress installations. Breaking out a website from a multi-user installation is going to be extra work you're not going to want to bother with.

• Izaak
    • New Recruit

Thanks, for the input everyone. I will admit I am a little confused on a how Multisite operates and how much effort I will need to put in order for it to work the way I want. This is all good information and I really appreciate it.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Izaak,

Hope you're well today, with a multisite install you have the issue of the users not being able to add their own plugins and themes etc.

Perhaps multiple single site installs, but using something like ManageWP so you could keep track of all the sites and do the updates in one place? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.