I only want a website and not a log. How do I do this? This

I only want a website and not a log. How do I do this?
This link makes no sense to me http://codex.wordpress.org/Navigation_Menus

• Joshua
    • Chief of Keepin' it Fresh Div.

I am kind of confused as to what you are looking for. To create a custom menu in WordPress you simply need to go to the Dashboard > Appearance > Menues and create a new custom menu. You can choose to ad a Blog or not... (*I am assuming by log you meant blog).

I hope this helps. Cheers!

If you are building your own theme that other information may be helpful.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Mattbkelly

I hope you are well today, As @Joshua said I'm also a bit confused about what it is your looking to achieve.

But I'm guessing that you just want a website with blog at all? So you want a static business homepage?

If you could clarify what you are looking to do that would be great.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

I was going to say, he meant to type "blog"

Hello Matt,

You do not want a "static" website. That implies it's straight HTML/CSS with no database attached, which thus implies that you will need to know HTML and CSS to update it.

Probably not what you are looking for.

WordPress allows you to disable the blog features

Go to the dashboard (yourdomain.com/wp-admin) then navigate to settings => reading. You will have the ability to select your home page:

* Your latest post
    * A static page

Select a static page, and you have disabled the "blog" in WordPress. Please note that you will first need to create this page in order to select it. Do not select a page for your blog in the drop down list.

• sonnymanou
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I think you can remove some of this from "appearance -> widgets" and "appearance -> menus" in your admin area.

Your Misty Look theme doesn't seem to have a full page template option. This means you are gong to have space for a column there whether you want one or not. This is not a bad thing. It would be good to use to display other relevant content.

Unless of course you hack the theme? I'm not sure, but certainly on other content management systems, sometimes themes vary a bit in their construction, but you should be able to get an answer on how to do this if you ask the question in the right place.

Personally, I'd rather not hack a theme. I'd prefer to have a theme that gives me more layout options.

Best of luck with it.

Sonny

• sonnymanou

A good theme will give you options to do these things from within admin. If these options are not there, then perhaps it is time to look at another theme. WPMUDEV has some great themes to choose from. Why not give them a go before you start having to delve into code? Make it easy on yourself.

Sonny.

• sonnymanou

Within "appearance - > widgets", you'll find on the right hand side a column with headings like "Header 1", "Header 2", etc.

Under each heading, there are other little boxes such as, "Search", "Recent Posts" and "Recent Comments".

To remove these from view hover over one, your cursor will turn into a four-ways arrow. Click on it and drag it into the column on the left under "Available Widgets".

I haven't much experience of Wordpress. I have worked with a few themes however, and with all of these themes, the widget area looks different.

You need to experiment. You've removed a widget, now go and see what it looks like on your blog.

Let me know how you get on.

Best of luck with it.
    Sonny

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.