multiple sites with shared userbase, without multisite?

i plan on running several buddypress sites, each with their own domain name, but want them to share one member database so that all members have access and privileges on all my sites. this codex page says "If you plan on creating sites that are strongly interconnected, that share data, or share users, then a multisite network might not be the best solution."

So now I'm confused. How else would I accomplish exactly that?

• Ivan

Hey Alexsian,

Hope you are well today.

You could check our tutorial I think that could help you a lot.

Another thing I have in mind is that you can create single installs, and then using script or plugin you can synchronize the user tables between databases like

wp_usermeta
     wp_users

There could be some more depending on the plugins you are using, but this what I recall at the moment. You will need to be careful for the plugins you are using on the sites and what tables you are copying.

Hope this makes sense,
    Ivan

• Ivan

Hey Alexsian,

You should not have any problems with updates.

But behind this "should" in the previous sentence stands a lot.

What I mean is that the WordPress updates usually don't touch wp-config.php in updates, and that is the only file we change here. But with time there might be some complications, you might decide testing some plugin that ruin something. Software and computers break from time to time as well. Everything happens.

For this reason I would rely a lot on backups. I don't know if I can stress this enough not just in your case but in general.
    You need to have a lot of backups - local backups, backups on a different server(from different provider), backups of the secondary backups (even on your own machine). I have learned this lesson the hard way. :slight_smile:

That doesn't mean you have to buy server for your home or store terabytes of backups. Period of 1-2 months is usually enough, but the more you can the better.

For this you ca use daily backups with Snapshot<a/> and with some of the additional destinations.

Thanks,
    Ivan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.