I Smush all my pictures to smithereens

Hi! I configured Smush the other night and I think I squished my images all gone. All the big ones in my theme are gone, and whenever I upload a 800x800 it says it is only 1x1. I don't know what I did! Help! I will open it up so you can get into my account. THANK YOU!

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi Elisa Johnston (Average Advocate)

Hope you're having a wonderful day!

I've checked your Smush settings and found that you've enabled the "Resize my full size images" option and set Max width to 1. It means that your original images which are wider than 1px (I believe that will be all your images) will be resized to the 1px width and as the height of the image changes in proportion to the width you get 1x1 images in the result.

Unfortunately, I also see that the "Make a copy of my full size images" option wasn't enabled, it means that you won't be able to restore original images with WP Smush. The only way to restore them is to restore a backup of the /wp-content/uploads folders (if you have such) or to manually upload all images again. But don't forget to change the Max width and Max height in WP Smush settings before doing this (Media -> WP Smush). I see that recommended values are: 1920px wide x 1920px high.

For further, I would recommend you to enable "Make a copy of my full size images" option, in this case, you always will be able to restore original images even if you make a mistake in WP Smush settings or if something will go wrong during the smushing process. But keep in mind, that this can significantly increase the size of your uploads folder by nearly twice as much. After restoring original images, you also can regenerate all thumbnails by using the following plugin:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/regenerate-thumbnails/

If you have any additional questions please let us know, we always are happy to help.

Kind regards,
    Katya

• Elisa Johnston (Average Advocate)

Hi!

I am still reeling over how in the world I did this. I was writing in 1800, so I must have somehow hit another key that kept the 800 from going in or was distracted or something. I am sufficiently horrified that somehow I made all my images from almost eight years just be literally squished to nothing. No wonder I "saved so much space."

Okay, so, unfortunately the most recent version of my download was from June (I tried a few weeks back, but there was a problem with the plugin I had--is there a plugin you'd recommend that does this automatically?) Considering, I was thinking I will copy and paste out the html of all posts since June, and manually add them back in one by one AFTER reverting back to June. And then, with those ones, manually adding the photos there were previously in it.

Does this sound like what you would recommend? Is there anything you would caution me to do or not do in this process?

Second, how does one even revert it back (and can you do it if I give you access to my Cpanel and share the file via dropbox or something). This seems scary and overwhelming, but that might just be because I've never done it.

As for saving the originals in the folder, does that actually help save any time loading the website? That was the reason I smushed them all in the first place. I would prefer to make more frequent back-ups of my website than saving them in a folder if it will slow down my website. What do you suggest?

Lastly, what is the purpose of the whole regenerating thumbnail thing? Wouldn't it all go back to normal when I revert back to june and input all my blog posts again and again?

Thank you.

• Katya Tsihotska

I am still reeling over how in the world I did this. I was writing in 1800, so I must have somehow hit another key that kept the 800 from going in or was distracted or something. I am sufficiently horrified that somehow I made all my images from almost eight years just be literally squished to nothing. No wonder I "saved so much space."

I'm really sorry about what happened to you. We've already reported this issue to our developers, so they will find a way to prevent such situations in further updates of the plugin.

Okay, so, unfortunately the most recent version of my download was from June (I tried a few weeks back, but there was a problem with the plugin I had--is there a plugin you'd recommend that does this automatically?) Considering, I was thinking I will copy and paste out the html of all posts since June, and manually add them back in one by one AFTER reverting back to June. And then, with those ones, manually adding the photos there were previously in it.

Does this sound like what you would recommend? Is there anything you would caution me to do or not do in this process?

Second, how does one even revert it back (and can you do it if I give you access to my Cpanel and share the file via dropbox or something). This seems scary and overwhelming, but that might just be because I've never done it.

I think the best way will be to restore only uploaded images from the /uploads folder, in this case, you won't lose the content of pages, posts, etc. You also can use a few weeks backup for this, as you only need images. If you have a backup archive, you will need to download it to your PC, unzip and find the uploads folder (should be in the wp-content folder). In this folder, you can see folders called by years' numbers (from what I see should be 2011, 2012, 2013, ..., 2017). You will need to replace the folders on your server with the folders from the backup. Please, don't replace any other folders, this could cause issues as there could be stored some data from other plugins/theme.

I also strongly recommend you to create a full backup of the site before doing any changes. Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

After restoring images, you will need to manually re-upload and re-attach other images, those weren't stored in your backup (you don't need to re-attach images from the backup).

As for saving the originals in the folder, does that actually help save any time loading the website? That was the reason I smushed them all in the first place. I would prefer to make more frequent back-ups of my website than saving them in a folder if it will slow down my website. What do you suggest?

This option shouldn't affect the loading time of your site, it can't increase or decrease it, it just helps you to make backup copies of original images which will be stored in the uploads folder and you will be able to restore original image at any time with a single click:

However, more frequent back-ups is a good option too. But in my opinion, if you need to restore only one image, it's always easier and faster to use the Restore image option.

Lastly, what is the purpose of the whole regenerating thumbnail thing? Wouldn't it all go back to normal when I revert back to june and input all my blog posts again and again?

It's not related to the current restoration process, it's rather an advice on how you can regenerate thumbnails if you lost them or if you don't satisfied with results of the smushing.

Kind regards,
    Katya

• Elisa Johnston (Average Advocate)

So, WPMU apparently has a backup plugin! Which I am sure you knew, but I didn't. I've been fighting with my current plugin to go to dropbox, and so I switched to wpmudev's Snapshot. However, after I configured the settings to go to dropbox, and tried 2x, it still wasn't showing up in dropbox. Then I tried again and got this message (attachment).

I am still a bit unclear on how to actually replace JUST THE IMAGE FOLDER, after I finally get this new backup done, so any directions on that would be great. Thanks!

• Katya Tsihotska

Hope you had a great weekend

As for your issue with the Snapshot plugin, the 405 error usually means that one of the HTTP query methods is not accepted by the server, or there could be another error in your Nginx configuration. If you're familiar with this matter, you can try workarounds provided here:
    https://distinctplace.com/2017/04/17/405-not-allowed-nginx-fix-post-requests/

If it looks complicated for you, you will need to contact your hosting provider and ask them to help you to resolve this issue.

I am still a bit unclear on how to actually replace JUST THE IMAGE FOLDER, after I finally get this new backup done, so any directions on that would be great. Thanks!

Could you, please, describe at which point you face difficulties? Were you been able to manage to download the backup archive and find the year-based folders in /wp-content/uploads folder?

If so, you will need to login to your server via FTP or cPanel, remove the same year-based folders from the server and upload the same folders from the backup instead.

Make sure that you'll do this only when you'll have a backup of the site.

Kind regards,
    Katya

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.