I want to be able to have registration but disable

I want to be able to have registration but disable "subscriber" only password. So user that registers in the front end with First & Last name + email and user can login with Email address.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi there, Miguel!

You can allow visitors to comment on your site with only an email address, but it's not possible to create subscriber accounts that don't require passwords. The methods WordPress uses to keep track of users requires the password, and it's highly beneficial to your site's security to require a password when users log on.

Hope this helps!

• Miguel
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks Michelle but I am not fully worried about security as these WordPress sites I create are for 1-4 day events (webcasts) but many clients dont like the option of needing a password. MAYBE is there a way to set a default password? so all users passwords are all the same? I just need a user entry so I can connect it to analytic's . Then I need to export users via excel sheet which I have covered but the password function is something I need to be able to disable for all users BUT the Admin which is me. Thanks for your ideas .

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hey there, Miguel!

Do you need them to subscribe at all? Do you need for subscribers to have more privileges than reading the site and leaving comments?

There are a few plugins which will allow users to comment with a social media account, and Facebook's API will allow users to register with a FB account, but only until March of next year, when that feature is being put out to pasture.

Here's a quick tut on password protecting the site itself, without member registration: http://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/how-to-password-protect-your-wordpress-without-user-registration/

Would any of these solutions work for you?

• Miguel
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I dont need commenting or social login features I need a fast secure way for users to login and view a webcast via Wordpress and be able to track those users via Google Analytics + or Piwik and export a excel sheet of the data. My thoughts were to have subscribers or use a webform such as "FormCraft" http://codecanyon.net/item/formcraft-premium-wordpress-form-builder/5335056. Formcraft does anything i want and can export user data but if user leaves page they would need to register and I can link to google analytics. All I need is basic user data something that can save to a database in wordpress any ideas?

• Ivan
    • HummingBird

Hey Miguel,

Hope you are well today.

Your request is pretty specific and I wasn't able to find solution other than using OAuth, which you don't like doing.

The only thing I have in mind will require a custom coding.
    You could use the WordPress function wp_set_password and query just the subscribers and set the same password to each user ID. Or just change the paswords for every user, but the one with id 1 - that should be your admin user.

Or you could use a custom form that will take the usernames from the frontend and will insert always the same password.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
    Ivan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.