I want to create a real estate agent website using

I want to create a real estate agent website using wordpress, but am unsure how the idx listings work. Can i use any theme and then just install the real estate idx plugin to activate the listing data? Or do i have to use one of the real estate themes from like themeforest where its already setup for real estate listings and such?

• Michelle Shull

Heya, bluehat! Happy weekend!

If the idx plugin works within the conventions of a WordPress page, the theme you choose shouldn't matter. You may have to do some minor CSS tweaks to perfect it (which is the case with any type of site), but if the idx listings are (as I suspect) custom post types, you should be fine with most themes. Some themes weren't designed with custom post types in mind, some themes are just quirky, but you should be able to make it work with a lot of available themes. Specialty themes, like those you're seeing on ThemeForest definitely have a place, but they're not the only option you have.

Is this the plugin you're looking at? https://wordpress.org/plugins/dsidxpress/, I did a quick install, but I'm limited in what I can do without an MLS service. One big plus I see is that it doesn't use iframes, which can be a real pain to make responsive (mobile-ready).

What I would do is install and test the idx plugin with a default WP theme installed. Almost every plugin is tested with these themes, so you can get an idea of how the functionality of the plugin works, first, then worry about styling when everything is working correctly.

Hope this helps!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.