I want to have a site with different language groups

I want to have a site with different language groups in each city. What is the best way to do this?

Phila/
Italian/
Beginner or Advanced

New York/
French/
Beginner or Advanced

Should I use Multisite using completely different subdomain sites

Or use group hierarchy plugin

Or use simple "Categories" function

If I use Multisite, I don't want Phila groups appearing in New york etc...

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello again Tony!

Since you're already using BuddyPress for management of your community, I think the group hierarchy plugin would be the simplest solution here. Sure, you could achieve a similar effect with native WP categories, but in time it may prove a bit hard to use as it's meant only to organize content and not community members. On the other hand, if you aren't going to let the community members create their own blogs or sites or you don't need any other MultiSite advanced features, I don't see a reason to make things complicated :slight_smile: That being said, group hierarchy seems like a good choice IMHO.

Regards,
    Adam

• calvinrogercanas

Hey there @tony,

Hope you're well and thank you for your question! :slight_smile:

Here is a one way you can set this up. You can use the plugin BuddyPress ( a good tutorial from WPMUDEV ) and its functionality "Group" w/c is similar to facebook group. Then use our awesome BuddyPress Activity Plus to enable members to upload media files.

Plus you can setup the privacy settings of each group so non-member of the group can't see the content :slight_smile:

I suggest you read the tutorial, install BuddyPress, enable the User Groups ( Navigate to Admin -> Settings -> BuddyPress -> Components[tab] -> Check "User Groups ) . Also BuddyPress can run on a wordpress single-installation type.

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Calvin

• calvinrogercanas

Hi @tony,

Thanks for your patience and for your reply.

Seems my colleague Adam and I both suggest buddypress. If you use the group functionality of it, a user / visitor can't see what is inside of that group if they are not a member ( like in facebook - if a group is set to closed or secret then any outsider don't have any clue what is happening inside that group ). The best way to know this is to give it a try. I suggest is you create a wordpress site in a local environment to play around things. A good article on how do it can be find here

Let me know if it helps.

Kind Regards,
    Calvin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.