I want to know if I can use Custompress to redesign mu

I want to know if I can use Custompress to redesign mu home/post page. It's currently a single post with a side bar. Ultimately, I want to get to a multi-panel news layout (news, ads, links via stepwise additions) and be able to position them where I want. Since I can't program my way out of a wet paper bag, can Custompress do what's needed? If not what to use?

• Adam

Hi @mwlong,

While someone on staff can speak to it specifically, I don't think that's quite the purpose of CustomPress; it's more for creating a whole new class of post types, like products, or chat logs, or quilts, or whatever you like.

The way I've dealt with what you're talking about is a combination of items:

Install Widgets on Pages. Setup is really simple—just create a bunch of extra "sidebars" in the plugin's settings, and add widgets to them in the Dashboard's Widgets area.
    If your theme doesn't have shortcodes built in already, you can use any one of a large number, but I recommend AJ Clarke's Symple Shortcodes. Cleanly coded, not much to mess with, and comes with nice TinyMCE buttons on the post editing page, so you don't have to refer to the documentation constantly.

Pull up a fresh page using your theme's full-width template.

Use the Symple column shortcodes to create the grid layout (some combination of full, halves, thirds, quarters, fifths) you want, then inside each column shortcode, add a widgets-on-pages shortcode.

Now you can leverage the power of widgets (a lot of other people's code) wherever you like within your layout, just by adding/configuring widgets. You can change the placement of each feature by moving the widgets. Here are a few examples:

http://www.erdagardens.org
    http://www.dredgecycle.com
    http://www.undergroundabq.com

Good luck!

• Adam

I know it sounds a little intimidating at first, but it's really very mechanical. Here's all the code driving the front of erdagardens.org:

[metaslider id=1282] [one_third] [widgets_on_pages id="Home 1"] [/one_third]
    [one_third] [widgets_on_pages id="Home 2"] [/one_third]
    [one_third_last] [widgets_on_pages id="Home 3"] [/one_third_last]
    [one_third] [widgets_on_pages id="Home 4"] [/one_third]
    [one_third] [widgets_on_pages id="Home 5"] [/one_third]
    [one_third_last] [widgets_on_pages id="Home 6"] [/one_third_last]

This is using my theme's built-in columns shortcodes. The Symple set looks very similar.

• Vaughan

hiya

thanks for the post, and thanks to @Adam for the excellent advice given.

the biggest thing here if you aren't able to custom make your theme, is to find a theme that looks & feels the same as the kind of site you are looking for, then you can start adding things and tweaking it a bit more.

some sites are really simple, some are complex, and even with the simplest of sites, sometimes it might involve a bit of coding or editing here & there. especially with CSS.

i would recommend http://www.w3schools.com if you need to learn a bit about CSS/HTML/PHP you don't need to be an expert, but a bit of basic understanding would help you a lot more once you get going.

the thing with wordpress is it's very versatile & flexible & there can be many ways of achieving the same thing using different tools & methods.

if you have a specific idea in mind for your site, draw up a plan, look at what you want content wise on your site, and how you want it presented. without planning, you could end up way over your head & will get you really frustrated, don't despair though, take it 1 step at a time. if you really get stuck, you might want to hire a developer, i know it's extra cost, but there are some good developers out there who are cheap, but with a good plan in hand and a spec sheet, it wouldn't take long for a seasoned developer to set up for you, but again costs are determined by the complexity of the site you want.

hope this helps

thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.