I want to move test environment to the same domain...

Hi,

I want to move test environment to the same domai, they are now at different providers.
Now my question:
Which option is the best one to have an dev environment?
1- subdomain
2- subfolder
3- multisite with subdomain
4- multisite with subfolder

Thanks!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello mpress,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I'd say that whether you use sub-domain or sub-folder location for your "dev install" doesn't matter much in "technical" terms and it's more up to you personal preference. However, I think there are some simple rules that are worth following:

1. if your original/live site is a single WP install, keep your staging site as single install as well; in this case it really doesn't matter if it's in sub-domain or a sub-folder;

2. if your original/live site is a multtisite setup, keep your staging site a multisite too and it would be best to follow the same setup convention for both site so: if a live site is sub-domain based then the "dev site" would better be sub-domain based as well (though it may not always be possible if it's kept on the same main domain) and the same applies to sub-folder install.

I think though that you're referring to a single WP install so the first case would apply :slight_smile:

If you have any further questions on this, let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.