I want to use the BuddyBar, not the WP Admin bar – how?

I also post this same question in the support forums at BuddyPress.org - I'm posting it here too in case someone knows the answer. I really want to get a grasp on this.

When I upgraded to BP 1.5 on my live site, I was already using the BuddyBar (customized for my multisite network). When I upgraded, I was expecting to automatically get the WP admin bar. It didn’t happen, which suited me fine. I still get to use the BuddyBar.

Now I’m trying to do some work on my test installation, which uses the WP Admin bar. I’m struggling to figure out how to get it to display the BuddyBar so that I can make the two installations match.

I’ve been through the code and I don’t know why the live site still displays the BuddyBar so I haven’t been able to figure out how to make the test site do the same thing. How do I force display the BuddyBar and not use the WP Admin bar?

What happened that my live site didn’t automatically default to the WP admin bar when I upgraded?

• Fondeli
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi There! :slight_smile:

I had a similar problem with the WP admin bar showing on my site, when I actually wanted the Buddy bar. In actual fact the buddy bar was there, but covered by the WP admin bar, so I just used CSS to hide the WP admin bar and so the Buddy bar could be seen. I added this to the style.css file of the theme.

#wpadminbar { display:none; }

Hope this is a help!

• Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

Interesting fix!

I did find the proper solution for it in the BP bug trac system here: http://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3661

Turns out you can define it in wp-config.php with
    define( 'BP_USE_WP_ADMIN_BAR', false );

Changing the setting to true gives you the wp admin bar and false will give you the buddybar.

My live installation doesn't use this definition, so I'm not sure why I still get the buddybar in that one, but in the event I lose it in an upgrade, I know how to get it back! Anyhow, this is a good definition to have since it gives you solid control over it.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Thanks for posting the solution here Saunt. Definitely helps people trying to find the fix quickly.

Sorry that didn't work as well for you Fondeli. Perhaps as Saunt mentioned it's just a matter of disabling plugins that might keep it from working?

-David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.