I was enticed to sign up by the advertisement that your

I was enticed to sign up by the advertisement that your plugins are 100% GPL and if I chose not to continue my membership, I would still be able to use the plugins (I know I wouldnt get updates or new plugins with out a membership) BUT I didn't expect to have to be signed into my account via a dashboard to activate the "Pro" features of a plugin - I assumed downloading the pro version, that it was an actual "Pro" version and not a "FREE" version that required verification to unlock "Pro" features.

If this is the business model you operate with, I would like to see about a refund - I dont want to feel my sites are held hostage or would lose feature or functionality should my membership lapse or be canceled.

• Alex Stine

Hello,
    It is in the Terms Of Use, some services require continuous API access to use, so yes, you would have to keep your account going to use WP Smush Pro.

As quoted from the Terms Of Use

API Access

Some of our services such as Anti-Splog, WP Smush Pro, Integrated Video Tutorials, and Auto-upgrades require the use of an assigned API key. You may only use your API key on sites that belong to you or those of your clients. You must maintain an active subscription with WPMU DEV to make use of API services. API based services may only be accessed by our plugins designed for that purpose. You may not resell, share, or publish your API key. Violation of any of these terms will result in the immediate termination of API access and/or your WPMU DEV membership. We also reserve the right to suspend API access to users that use an unusual amount of API requests or resources that we feel may impact the services to other members.

All of our plugins can be installed on any number of sites you own or develop for a client. For automatic updates and in-dashboard support provided by our WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin, we do however have a soft API limit. Don’t worry if you have more sites you can simply deactivate one and activate the other, swapping them as often as you need. Need even more? Contact us and we’ll assist you with this.

Dashboard API:

Full members get 1000 domains.
    Silver (grandfathered) members get 20 domains.
    Bronze (grandfathered) members get 1 domains.
    Single members get 1 domain.

Video API:

Full members get 1000 domains.
    Silver (grandfathered) members get 20 domains.
    Bronze (grandfathered) have no access to our video API

Anti-Splog:

Full members get 20 domains.
    Silver (grandfathered) members get 1 domains.
    Bronze (grandfathered) have no access to our video API

Smush API:

Full members get unlimited domains.
    Single members get unlimited domains.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/terms-of-service/

If you would still like a refund, please reach out to billing with the below form.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact
    Select I have a billing question from the drop down.

Hope this information has been helpful.

• Luís

Hi @brandoneverettjohnson,

Hope you're doing well today!

As Alex refered and quoted our Terms of Service, some of your plugins requires the API access.

One of them is WP Smush Pro that requires an ongoing WPMU DEV membership for access to the Pro features.

This information is mentioned in the plugin usage too:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wp-smush-pro/#usage

But if you want to cancel your membership you can still use the free version, it's more limited, but I think that still is an useful tool.

Cheers, Luís