Protected Content - 2 Issues

I was playing around with the Protected Content plugin for the first time, as it seems less cluttered than the Membership plugin (in a good way).

Issue #1:
1: I created a dummy membership using the option “I want to have different content available to different members.” The subsequent screen also allowed me to create/name the content type, and so on. Now im trying to delete them both, and I keep getting an error saying “Membership not deleted.”

I created additional memberships just to troubleshoot, and I can delete those without a problem. Issue seems to happen only with the very first membership I created, and now it’s interfering with my overall configuration.

Issue #2:
I have an existing site with almost 2,000 registered contributors. My plan is to make my site a paid website in January or even earlier, BUT I want those existing users to have free access due to being existing and loyal members already….

So, while creating the membership, I was hoping to see an option that said something like, “Import existing website users to this membership?”…… but this option apparently doesn’t exist, which means I would have to manually add those 2,000 users to the membership one at a time.

Am I missing something? Otherwise, could this option be implemented? (hopefully before January).

Otherwise, if this option already exists with Membership, chances are ill use that plugin instead.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @The One, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

1: I created a dummy membership using the option “I want to have different content available to different members.” The subsequent screen also allowed me to create/name the content type, and so on. Now im trying to delete them both, and I keep getting an error saying “Membership not deleted.”

You need to first delete the membership level inside of the membership type (after making sure that there aren't already any members inside of that level), and then you should be able to delete the membership type from the list.

Issue #2:
    I have an existing site with almost 2,000 registered contributors. My plan is to make my site a paid website in January or even earlier, BUT I want those existing users to have free access due to being existing and loyal members already….

So, while creating the membership, I was hoping to see an option that said something like, “Import existing website users to this membership?”…… but this option apparently doesn’t exist, which means I would have to manually add those 2,000 users to the membership one at a time.

Am I missing something? Otherwise, could this option be implemented? (hopefully before January).

While you'd be more than welcome to add this as a feature request over here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/feature-suggestions#question

I do have a thought that may work out in the meantime. Would you already have a mailing list for your members?

If so, then you could enable the "Coupons" add-on inside of Protected Content, and send them a 100% off coupon that they could redeem when they sign up for your membership, as a special thank-you for being a member.

How does that sound? :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• The One

Thanks Michael, brilliant idea.
    Sadly, i went back to Membership because I found everything to be much easier (Membership also subscribed every existing user automatically, via the main Options page, which was a huge help).

The main thing that attracted me to Protected Content was the ability to protect Post Types, which (i think) Membership doesn't have.

But no biggie, problem solved for now!
    Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.