I will create twenty cities with twenty groups in each

I will create twenty cities with twenty groups in each using BP Hierarchy.

City One...Group 1...Group 2...Group 3
City Two...Group 1...Group 2...Group 3 etc...

What is the best way to replicate City One as template and just change the name of the city? I suppose I would copy the file directly from the database (where?) or is there a plugin for easy replication?

• tony

Using BP Hierarchy I want to create...

Phila...Languages...Italian or French or German or Russian...Beginner group or Advanced group
    Boston...Languages...Italian or French or German or Russian...Beginner group or Advanced group
    Chicago...Languages...Italian or French or German or Russian...Beginner group or Advanced group
    ...etc.....for twenty cities.

People can only join Beginner or Advanced groups. Parent groups are just categories

How is best way to copy or replicate "Phila" as template to create other cities

Or if you think not using Hierarchy and rather using some form of "category" function is better?

I need language organizers to create a language group in their city and have it automatically assigned into each parent, so I'm not sure "category" would work the way Hierarchy does.

The other work-around was to use Mutlisite and create the Hierarchy and then clone the whole site as new city. Would that be complicating things or is Hierarchy enough in ONE site?

• Michelle Shull

Hey tony!

I think your multisite idea might be spot on here. BuddyPress would need some extending to support sub-groups, but having city-based subsites in a multisite network would actually be a lot simpler to manage here, I think.

Think of hierarchy and category as similar, here. Categories are an example of a WP hierarchy, so all categories are hierarchical, but there can be other classification types that aren't categories, while still being hierarchical, so not all hierarchies are categories. Hierarchical here means you're able to have sub-classifications. Tags are NOT hierarchical, there are no parent and child tags, or the capability to support parent/child tags.

BuddyPress groups are not currently hierarchical, there are no parent/child groups, so to make your system work, you'd need to make groups support hierarchies. That's going to be a good chunk of code to write, and fairly complex, so I would definitely point you to a dev, or our jobs board, to tackle this.

I do think the multisite idea is pretty brilliant, though. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.