I wish to develop a (member) - multisite, with

I wish to develop a (member) - multisite, with an (ecommerce) "etsy" component. What are the best W/P themes (WOOTHEMES?) to use to accommodate this format, and why? Which themes do not lend themselves well to this plan?
Also, are there any W/P plugins for PayPal that would have : Adaptive Payments - Parallel; Chained, Simple.
Thanks!

• Michelle Shull

Hi there, DENNIS!

Typically, choosing a theme is a pretty personal decision. You're going to know better than anyone which features you want and need in your theme, and which free or premium theme best meets your vision. Fortunately, there is a wide array of fantastic themes available both for free in the WP repository, and premium themes, like those you can find here, or one of the many awesome WP theme shops.

Woo Themes work great with the Woo Commerce ecommerce platform. We've got our own ecommerce tool, MarketPress, and we've even got a video tutorial on how to create an Etsy-style marketplace with a global shopping cart. MarketPress supports chained and simple payments with PayPal, depending, of course, on which type of account (free or premium) you have at PayPal for your business. Chained/adaptive payments require a premium PayPal account to setup.

When looking for your theme, while I can't pick your ideal theme for you, I can give you a list of questions to ask yourself while you're searching.
    1. Do you want a free or premium theme?
    2. Do you want a theme that's ready out of the box, or are you prepared to customize a theme to meet your needs? (If you know some CSS, there's a LOT you can do to give you site a custom look.)
    3. Does the theme you like have additional features you don't need or want? (Sliders, required plugins/special fonts/etc.)
    4. Does the theme's development team provide support? Do other users seem happy with it?
    5. How happy are other people with the theme? (How are the reviews?)
    6. Does the theme have great image support? (You'll want great pictures to sell your products.)
    7. Will the theme in any way over-complicate the user experience for your store owner users?

Hope this helps!

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, Dennis!

I sort of went overboard there, didn't I? :slight_smile:

Have you looked at the default WP theme twenty fifteen? It's simple, it's elegant, it's screen-reader ready, it's got great typography and every single WordPress plugin worth its salt has already been tested with it. I use it on my production site, I like it so much. I made a child theme and adjusted the CSS with some fancy tricks I know, it looks great and it loads so. very. fast. Even with a bunch of plugins and a ridiculous number of posts. It works great with MarketPress (you'll need do just a little tweaking for product pages themselves) and I've used it with WooCommerce on a sandbox site, it looks pretty good there, too.

Ultimately, any WP expert worth their salt is going to know twenty fifteen, as well, and so getting support can be a lot simpler than tracking down a particular dev.

I'm a big fan of keeping it simple, and I can't tell you much easier my site is to run with a default theme. Plus, it's really a great looking theme, and it's totally free.

Ultimately, like I said, it's a really personal decision, but I think you might like twenty fifteen a lot. :slight_smile:

Take care!

• Michelle Shull

Hey Dennis!

We have Fundraising that will do this all for you. :slight_smile: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/fundraising/

I've got it running alongside MarketPress in a couple of sandbox sites right now. I really like Fundraising, it's super easy to set up, and like MarketPress, you've got several options to customize how you receive donations. (Single vs. recurring, if you want to offer rewards, if you want a goal tracker, etc.)

Thanks for your question!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.