I would like to have first level users who can register

I would like to have first level users who can register on the main site to create their own sub-sites. Then, second level users who can register user account on the subsets of first level users.
I am using Pro-sites, and Membership. Other plugins may be added int he future.

How can I achieve this?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Izo,

Hope you're doing well today! Welcome to the WPMU DEV Community :slight_smile:

The issue I see happening with this is that since the users are not registered yet, how will the sites know what kind of user is trying to register?

In order to differentiate visitors at all, first they will need to register and then you can restrict what they can do on the site :slight_smile:

Unless of course you close off your registration completely and manually add users; however, that isn't too realistic in most cases as you would be spending all day moderating user sign ups :p

Something else to keep in mind here, is that with a Multisite, all users are kept in a network user database. So when a user that signed up on one subsite visits another subsite they will have a pseudo-subscriber role on that site and will still be able to do some user actions, such as commenting.

A plugin to help with this is the Multisite User Manager: https://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-user-management/

What most users do in a situation like this, is allow sign up everywhere, but restrict users with Membership or our Protected Content plugin.

Are you wanting users to pay to access the subsite content?

It sounds like using Pro Sites to let users sign up and create a site on the main site would work then having Membership or Protected Content on those created subsites to allow visitors to sign up on those sites. You can either have it free or paid membership, the important part is that you can use either of those plugins to protect content on the site forcing the visitor to sign up to see it :slight_smile:

Hopefully I haven't made this more confusing. If I have then my apologies and if you could let me know which areas I'm missing the boat on then I can explain it more clearly.

Look forward to hearing back Izo!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Izo

Hi

Thanks for your reply.
    Yes users need to register first using Pro sites, then on the subset, another user shall be created. All the situation is exactly like what you mentioned and I did follow and installed User Manager.

1. Using Membership will restrict users to be only on the site that they registered?
    2. Membership plugin, can you make another version of it, just to concentrate on users instead of content. Like another religion called User Pro.

• Ash

Hello @Izo

I hope you are well today.

1. Using Membership will restrict users to be only on the site that they registered?

Not that, I am afraid. Using membership will restrict contents only on the site it is activated. Do you want to enable registration in subsite? So, that an user can register in a subsite only?

2. Membership plugin, can you make another version of it, just to concentrate on users instead of content. Like another religion called User Pro.

If you please create a new thread to suggest some features that you think can improve the membership plugin, we would love to mark that as a feature request.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.