I would like to use the SSL on the Mapped domain.

I'm using a subdirectory for my multisite and I'm having a problem to use the SSL on the mapped domain, I tried to a mapped domain as Addon domain but it broke the site, could you send me the steps, I have more than one domain that I need to replicate this.

• Gene

Hi Kasia, can you please post the proper steps to setting up either Let's Encrypt OR another SSL cert to secure Sub Sites using a Masked Domain?

MY CURRENT SETUP:
    Wordpress MultiSite using Sub DIRECTORY setup
    Using WPMUDEV Pro Sites plugin
    Using WPMUDEV Domain Mapping plugin, so users can assign their own domain name to their Sub Directory/Subsite
    Running WHM server and Cpanel
    Have Dedicated IP address for main multisite install

When you say addon domain, are you referring to adding the domain within Cpanel? Does the IP address have to be the same? I would like to see a working example of this: basic multisite install using Sub Directory config, with a subsite having it's own masked domain name and ssl installed (preferably using Let's Encrypt). Also given it's a sub directory install, I understand the domain name mapping over must use an A Record to point to the IP address of the main wordpress multisite install..? I have yet to see this actually up and working properly.

• Rupok

Hi Gene,

I think you are very close to the solution you are looking for. Let me describe the whole process so it becomes clear for you.

1. At first, you need to point your domain (which you want to map to a subsite) to your hosting.
    2. Then you need to add your domain in your cPanel as an "Addon Domain" and Set the path to the root directory of your Multisite Main Site.

When these two steps are done, any request sent to that domain will be at first taken to your hosting server, and then will be taken to your multisite main site.

3. Now you need to install SSL certificate for your newly added "Addon Domain" on your server. To know how you can install Let's Encrypt SSL Certificate on your server, you can check this tutorial: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/free-ssl-https-cpanel/

4. Then you need to go to that subsite dashboard and map the domain in Domain Mapping plugin settings page. While adding the domain for mapping, please select https:// as protocol.

If these four steps are completed properly, then your SSL mapped domain should work absolutely fine.

But, there is another scenario. In many cases, if your server has a dedicated IP, then you don't need to add the domain as Addon Domain and when you hit your server IP address in the browser, it loads your multisite main site. Domain Mapping will work fine in this case, but SSL mapping won't work. Because your data is being served from your server, but no SSL certificate is installed on your server for that mapped domain.

I hope this will clear your confusion. Please let me know if you have any further confusion or if I missed any point. I'll be very glad to provide more details on your request.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.